Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
dsulu

how to change ignition switch

I just ordered a ignition switch, and I am trying to remove the old one on my boxster.

Is there any easier way to install w/o having to crawl under the steering wheel facing up in a very difficult angle.

How easy is it to remove the panels around the ignition key hole?

Any help is appreciated!

Dsulu
dsulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Here's what the Service Manual says...
  1. Disconnect battery.
  2. Remove trim cover at ignition lock cylinder (shows a picture of a flat blade slipped under and prying it out).
  3. Insert ignition key and turn to position 1 (ignition ON). Insert straightened paper clip into hole at top right of key slot as far as possible (this releases lock cylinder). Pull lock cylinder out of steering lock housing.
  4. Disconnect immobilizer induction coil electrical harness connector from ignition cylinder barrel.

BTW - they show the process with the electrical portion already removed.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Loren

Electrical switch or lock?
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:43 AM   #4
dsulu

I guess, I wasn't being clear about this ignition switch, the switch I bought is the electrical switch that Porsche discontinued a while back, however; I picked it up from a VW dealer throught some information posted in this forum.

I was able to pull the electrical coupling from the switch, but I still need to remove the switch itself from the ignition assembly (??) by scratching of the covered red paint off and unscrew the two screws.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the panel, then get to the ignition assembly/ ignition switch w/o crawling down and hurting my back.

Dsulu
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

Loren might have a different answer but, in short, I think the only real access is by laying on your back.
  1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Turn ignition key to 'O' and remove.
  3. Remove air duct under driver's side of dashboard.
  4. Disconnect electrical harness connector from back of ignition switch.
  5. Remove locking paint from switch retaining screws (2). Loosen screws w/a short screwdriver and pull ignition switch from housing.
Installation is the reverse of removal.

I'm not sure how important steps 1 and 3 really are but they certainly don't hurt. Definitely remove the key though.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6
dsulu

Thank you Tom M. !

Dsulu
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Willy

I am going to be interested in hearing just how difficult this process was because I just paid over $300 to get mine replaced. When I picked the car up, the guy said it was a bear.

Will
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #8
dsulu

I just remove the driver seat and crawled into the space to change my ignition switch, for $100, I would pay someone to do it since I get dizzy when I lay on the back to do some work, may it's my high blood pressure?? but for $300, I would do it for you.

I still have the battery charge drainage problem. I guess I will post this some in the forum.

Dsulu
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #9
oldskuracer

Ok I just tried to fix the ignition switch problem this morning.. the only problem is that it doesn't seem as easy as the instructions given above. I was able to disconnect the battery, remove the air duct, remove the rubber surrounding the keyhole, and unplug the harness.

The part that sounded easy was removing the two screws. How do you get to those things??!?!?

This is the part I ordered. Is it the right one? It is part number 99634701707 "AS STEERING LOCK"
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563a.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	508

Here is what it looks like from underneath. That's all I can see with my eyes.

Name:	IMG_3564a.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	509

Name:	IMG_3567a.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	510

It wasn't too fun down there...
oldskuracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #10
oldskuracer

Anyone have tips for me? My car has a few screws loose and waiting to be cared for. After this... maybe I'll shoot for a short shifter?
oldskuracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.