Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:31 PM   #11
Barry

Recently had mine done

Quote:
Originally Posted by hloo10
I'm looking for a shop in the South Bay or within 20 miles which knows how to smog check a Boxster. I'm a bit leary of taking her to the corner gas station. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hanson
Had my 2000 done in November at Anderson Behel in San Jose for $80 minus a PCA discount. I consider this a bargain when you factor in that it was done by technicians who actually know how to access the engine compartment and then properly re-secure things. Also, since it was still in warranty at the time, if any problems were found during the test, the car was already in the shop that could do the repairs.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM   #12
Docdanracy

Question smog

Barry,
Was that on the dyno or the normal smog check. Sometime in November or December the law changed and every smog now needs to be on the dyno....much more $$$$$$. By the way why did your y2k need a smog check since in Calif. you have 4 year grace period on a new car before needing smog, or was your car a very early y2k purchase?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #13
Docdanracy

Exclamation smog check on the dyno

Ken's Sportech in Campbell can do your smog. They work with the shop right next door with a dyno and can get it done. Had mine done in December with no problems. When you call ask for Mark and tell them that Dan Thompson sent you in. They know how to work on Boxsters.
They also just got a Ps2 so they can scan for trouble codes now.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #14
Barry

Answers

Can't say for sure if it was dyno'd. Assume it was since the test was done in November. Did a price reference check at Claridge's at the time. They were $135, so doing it at A/B was an easy decision. Don't know if A/B's price is still $80.

The glow of "newness" got a bit tarnished when I got the DMV smog notice in my registration renewal. My 2000 was delivered in January '00.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #15
mee

Just Smogged Mine 2 Weeks Ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hloo10
I'm looking for a shop in the South Bay or within 20 miles which knows how to smog check a Boxster. I'm a bit leary of taking her to the corner gas station. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hanson
This was the Smog Check II (needless to say). Many smog places told me to go to the dealership. I found a place called Reliable Auto Repair at 463 Blossom Hill near 87/Oakridge Mall. I helped them remove the engine cover (it's in the manual) to get to the engine. Pretty down-to-earth guys. Nothing fancy and not the usual dealer snobs. Cost was $80 with cert which was actually better than some places that charged $90 and wouldn't touch a Porsche. Will go there in the future.
mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #16
LarryNakamura

You should add them to the recomendations list.

If you find a good mechanic, parts store, dealer with good service, etc.
you should add it to the recomendations list. Located at the top of the
page. Just a suggestion.
LarryNakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:42 AM   #17
RickJ

Smog South SF Bay / San Jose

I see this is an older thread - but thought I'd add to it anyway - it's still a challenge.....
I just spent an hour or so visiting 3 or 4 smog check places (generally prices in the $35 range) in the Evergreen area of San Jose - none could smog the Boxster 09 'S' - I drove up to Saratoga Ave and found 'Saratoga Avenue 76' @ 590 Saratoga Ave (@ 280) - they were able to smog - price with certificate $78......I'd have thought by now the Boxster would have become common enough that the smog guys wouldn't have any difficulty doing what they needed to get the job done - but apparently not....RickJ
RickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:28 PM   #18
mikefocke

What in the world is so complex with your CA smog check. In NC we hook up to the OBD port, put a probe in the tailpipe and rev the engine and out comes a print out that goes to the governor. No mystery on a 986 at all. Never even open the engine access hatch.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 09:18 AM   #19
hloo10

This is an ancient thread but back then CA cars had to go on a dyno. Most smog shops did not have dynos low enough to get these cars on without damage to the front. The one I found back then was Cupertino Smog also a 76 station (10625 N De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014 near old Apple buildings) had a dyno built into the floor.

CA has gotten rid of the dyno requirement but I still use these guys. Now it’s just ODB. Don’t even have to pull the car in. Does it wireless. They’ve gotten to know these cars over the years. Just recently had a 2016 981 done there and the tech clearly knew the car. About $70. Great to see some of the old names in this thread.
hloo10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman