Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Guides

Guides Boxster and Cayman How-To Guides

Old May 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Gear Grinder

Lumbar inflates on it's own

Greetings fellow enthusiasts, I need some help with the drivers seat in my Boxster. After driving 20-30 minutes the lumbar pad in the seat inflates on its own. The dealer quoted $700 to fix which I can't afford right now and constantly relieving the pressure with the switch is getting old. I am about ready to attack my seat back with an ice pick Does anyone know where the inflation motor is located so I can disconnect it? I looked at the fuses chart and there is not a dedicated fuse for the motor that I could find. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks' for your help.
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Gear Grinder

opps! I failed to mention its a 987.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

It's almost got to be under the seat. You could narrow it down by adjusting the lumbar support while not sitting in the seat to see if you can identify the location by sound.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Gear Grinder

motor in seat back

I got some time to look at the seat, I had to buy a E12 socket to unbolt it. There are two electrical connectors that go to the seat. There are three typical looking seat motors visible underneath. I was expecting to see an air line but didn't find one. Originally I thought the lumbar motor might be behind the bulkhead cover behind the seat, but after pulling the seat out I can tell ( by sound only) that the motor is built into the seat backrest. When I pulled the seat back center section free from the front I could see the two air bags and the tubing going to them but other than that just the wiring to the seat heater. But behind the bag are two really small wiring connectors that I cannot get apart. Once I figure that out, my quest for the lumbar motor disconnect might be complete.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Gear Grinder

No more Porsche electric seats for me.

I got the two connectors disconnected and it did disable the bag inflation. Upon pressing the lumbar adjustment switch I can hear relays clicking that seem to be inside the seat cushion. Went out for a drive and got a visit shop message that won't go away. Car is now at the dealer getting the seat controller replaced. I have never had a problem with power seats in any car I have owned. The Porsche experience sure costs a pretty penny. The fact they want $1,800 for a replacement radio is insane.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Guides