Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 22nd, 2001, 02:47 PM   #1
HP in SF

An alternative way to trigger V1's laser detection

This morning on the way to work on S 280, it was raining but the sun was shining. The mist that's kicked behind my car produced a rainbow that sent my V1 into a laser hit frenzy! At first I thought I was tagged since I was on the left lane but after slowing down and changing lanes, the V1 was still lit and I could not spot any CHP behind. Then the arrow pointed in front and alternated front and back and when I saw the rainbow in my rear view mirror and that other cars made, it clicked!

Anyone else experienced the same?
Old February 22nd, 2001, 03:39 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Hmmm I don't think it was a rainbow...

my guess is it was something else setting off your V1. There are some mysterious reasons that radar/laser detectors go off and they're not always apparent. That's why it's good to know the area so you have an idea when it's safe to ignore the indicators.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 03:58 PM   #3
HP in SF

Maybe I'm speculating here...

...if it was over a short stretch of the freeway, I would think it's something else but it started from right after Hwy 92 exit till before the Woodside exit. Everytime the V1 lit up in laser mode pointing front or back, I would check and it was consistent with the amount of mist my car was kicking up or another car in front. I've been driving with the V1 for about a week now and it has never gone off in laser mode on that stretch of S280.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 04:10 PM   #4
x99shark

Maybe a Mike V question. or...

get one of those new age bumper stickers...
" Brake for Rainbows"

-Ed
Old February 22nd, 2001, 04:27 PM   #5
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Hmmm I don't think it was a rainbow...

Since we know certain portions of the spectrum will set of the V1 it is very possible that a strong rainbow might cause it to go off. I agree that it would be a good question to put forth to Valentine.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 05:39 PM   #6
Jay in SF

where on 280 s? *NM*

Old February 22nd, 2001, 05:43 PM   #7
Jay in SF

hmm never falsed on 280 for me....

interesting theory though....
Old February 22nd, 2001, 11:02 PM   #8
Catalog Guy

Re: An alternative way to trigger V1's laser detection

I thought V1 laser detection was front facing only???

Andrew
Old February 22nd, 2001, 11:16 PM   #9
x99shark

nope, it has one rear facing detector...

...LRD in additon to the six or seven forward facing ones.

-Ed
Old February 22nd, 2001, 11:17 PM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

Nope! The V1 has laser detection front and rear...

the rear only has one sensor - it's the little round window under the square radar window. The laser detection towards the front is much more significant (about 6 sensors).

Ed "X99Shark" knows the exact info...

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman