Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 5th, 2001, 11:20 AM   #1
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Coolant Reservoir

I took my car into Carlsen's today for the infamous coolant condensation in the rear trunk. I figured it was just the O-ring or a bad cap. They just called me and told me they're going to have to replace the coolant reservoir.

Has anybody else had this? Are they "over-fixing"?

Yoseif
Old June 5th, 2001, 12:09 PM   #2
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

Re: just had it done. pls call me

please call me...916-356-2979 of email me your phone #
Old June 5th, 2001, 04:17 PM   #3
Glen

Re: Coolant Reservoir

What precisely is the "infamous coolant condensation" problem?
Old June 5th, 2001, 04:54 PM   #4
Tool Pants

Re: Coolant Reservoir

You get condensation on the rear trunk lid above where the blue coolant cap is.

Some 986 and 996 owners are now having problems with the sonic welded seam of the plastic expnsion tank comming open, which dumps coolant.

Jeff Lopez
Old June 5th, 2001, 05:17 PM   #5
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

sonic welded seam, eh?

fyi, i collected the part from my dealer. my coolant reservoir had two hairline cracks near the bottom-backside of the tank in no particular place....not on any type of seam.
Old June 5th, 2001, 05:45 PM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

Four possible issues...

1. Bubble in system can cause some coolant to escape. There is no real fix for this but the dealers will replace the cap and blame it for the problem (tough to warranty work when they don't find a problem). I suspect this is the main reason for all the "bad cap" problems.

2. Cross-threaded coolant cap - hard to believe but if true (and if it's not a way to get warranty claims - see above), the cap needs a re-design of the threads to prevent this since it's being done by Service Techs or at the factory (it can't all be done by the car owners since not many would have reason to remove the cap).

3. Bleeder Valve - this was one of the issues with my car (puked coolant on the ground) and they replaced the O-rings (once again could be part of the blame-game for warranty coverage with Porsche).

4. Cracked Coolant Tank - this is another problem that causes the coolant "release."

If you see condensation on the inside of your trunk above the caps in the enclosed (has a rubber seal ring around the cap enclosure) you're very likely to experience this.

It's a day in the shop under warranty and your car will be as good as new no matter which of these problems is the cause (or a combination).

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman