Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
curatolo

Radio Dead

I have a 07 Boxster S that the radio has died twice...After they replaced it the first time...the second one died after a week. During this timeframe I also saw my dashboard light up(AS if it was first turned on). I took pictures of this while I was driving with my Iphone so I could show the dealer. The second radio that they replaced had come in on August 11...and I was going away on vaca on Aug 12...so I told thm that I would bring the car in when I returned...So on Aug 26, I tried to start the car and it was totally dead.

I got a call from the dealer and they said that the battery was dead and it was not under warranty...and $315 later, the car started. They also told me that the car sat for too long ( I have a 95 mustang GT that sits for months at a time and this does not happen)...They suggested that I get a battery maintainer.

I am new at this site and hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem

First problem is why would 2 radios die...an dash light up...and battery die...Hope someone could help..Thanks Tony
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0199.jpg   IMG_0198.jpg  
curatolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
70Sixter

Two weeks sounds a bit short for dead battery, but things like the alarm do put a constant drain on the battery. And the radio symptom could have contributed to the death.

I use a battery maintainer if the cars sits for more than a week.

As for the lights, I recommend an exorcism.

And Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM   #3
bigb

Given you have an 07S, I am assuming the battery was pretty 'fresh'. There really should be no reason for the battery to die within two weeks of non-use. Just from personal experience, I've left my car on its own for up to 4 weeks (in the summer), with no problem whatsoever.

Combined with the other issues you mentioned, I can only surmise that something must be drawing on the battery even when the car is turned off.

Btw, I don't know where you are located, but $315 for battery around here is total rip-off. Autozone, Costco etc. carry the same stuff (at least for 986 models) for <$100, and you can "install" it yourself (you may need to have the radio code - not sure if that is applicable on the 987).
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:51 AM   #4
70Sixter

Radio code not a problem for 07s. Also consider a sealed battery like Braille or Optima when time to replace.
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Westcoaster

I would keep the receipt for that battery because if the electrical system acts up one more time I think that you have good grounds to ask for a refund on the battery cost.

Add to this that a battery installed in a 2007 car should also still be under warranty?

With all that you have described I wuld also agree that there is some type of draw on the system, and as such this is likely the cause of a failed battery and therefore should be covered under the car's warranty.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Wing

That happened to my 2003 Boxster last year. The battery was weak after 3 week of non-use. I had the dealer replace the battery thinking that it is time (4 years old). The new battery was acting up after 2 weeks of non-use. So I took it back to the dealer and they found the radio was drawing current when turn off and caused the battery to go kaputt. At that time, the car was at 4 years +15 days. They are gracious to replace the radio under warranty. I dodged this one
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM   #7
curatolo

Thanks for the input...Porsche told me the same thing about the battery maintainers...so I am going to try, although I find it really hard to believe after two weeks...Also, after reading through alot of these forums, I realize electrical problems are kind of common with Porsche...As far as the dask, I have not seen it anymore, but will keep an eye on it...Finall radio is working(so far anuway)..Thanks for the replies!
curatolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman