Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Warren

01 Redbox

My 2001 2.7 Boxster has 102,000 mi and after reading various posts I am afraid to drive it. I got it with 78,000 mi and change oil at most every 500 miles and more like 3000 mi. Last change I had little flakes in the filter which spurred me to research what it might be. IMS failure seemed to come up more than anything else from reading and talking to people. Obviously this car has run over 100,000 miles without an IMS Failure. I did have a cam warning which quickly disappeared in the past 500 miles. Occasional low speed miss but I have never replaced the spark plugs- so that could be an explanation. The low speed miss is supposed to be indicative of imminent IMS failure. I just do not know what is real. Right now the car is a garage queen.

The question is drive it? park it? repair it? Unload it?

Are 2001 2.7 engines better than the earlier engines or the same?

Flat6Innovations is fairly close < 200 miles away but after discussions with them the cost to do all the preventative work is more than the car is worth. They do seem extremely knowledgeable.

Drives like nothing else I have had! Darn shame to have a car I can't drive.

Any ideas?????
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

There are MANY things that can contribute to flakes in the oil and they don't all mean the sky is falling. I have 105k on my '99 and never think twice driving 15 miles each way to work, not to mention a spirited weekend road trip.

If you really want the peace of mind of a new IMS, contact Alden at Flintworks.
http://www.flintworksauto.com/
He has done LN IMS upgrades on multiple Babblers' cars.

My plan: Drive her till she blows, then have Alden drop a 3.4 (with LN IMS) and ROW 30 suspension and enjoy another 10 years.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Flat6Innovations is fairly close < 200 miles away but after discussions with them the cost to do all the preventative work is more than the car is worth. They do seem extremely knowledgeable.

Drives like nothing else I have had! Darn shame to have a car I can't drive.

Any ideas?????
I just realized you said you were near Flat6Innovations, so I hope you are a legitimately concerned Boxster owner and not making your first Babblers.org post as a fear mongering shill for the company.

While I believe the product is legit and worthwhile, they have taken their share of "marketing lumps" on many Boxster & P-Car boards. There is a limited market and selling their product based on fear ("Darn shame to have a car I can't drive") just rubs me the wrong way.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Docdanracy

A 2001 2.7L with over 100k miles isn't worth much to begin with. Just drive the blasted car and enjoy it...if it blows then worry about it.
Or sell it now for about $8,500 (if you are lucky) and move on.

I now daily drive a '99 c2 and just can't get all excited about IMS anymore.

What is the total, something like 10% failure rate?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #5
ppbon

My WAG with that mileage and history would be that the flakes are from the IMS sprockets. If the chains are loose, they'll tend to shave off flakes.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman