Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new look?
I really like it. 9 28.13%
It's OK. 9 28.13%
Why'd we change? 7 21.88%
Where's the old style? 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #11
QUICKLY

I agree with Catalog Guy

Too sterile, over-complicated, impaired sense of community, immediacy and spontaneity. Lots of features I'll never use, because I don't need them to communicate. For example, I think smilies and icons are silly. (My sincere apologies if I've offended anyone, but I think these are dated and overly geeky).

With all due respect for your tremendous effort to maintain and improve this board, Tom, I was much more comfortable with the old format. Now that this change has been made, coinciding with selling my 2000S to get an '03 996, I find I'm spending more time on the 996 forum at www.Funcarsonline.com. I didn't care for CFG's format before, preferring the old Babblers for its intimate, local content and simple layout. Now I'm OK with it.

But change is always a challenge. I'm sure I'll get accustomed to the new surroundings, but I still feel that something good has been lost.
QUICKLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #12
Sharky

I mean this as constructive....

...but I agree with a major thumbs down on the new format.

If there were some view mode options to make all the catagories transparent, in effect undo the new mode, the would be great. But having to navigate down all the various catagories and individually down all the various threads and deal with multiple view panes makes board navigation more tedious than paying bills.

The comment about it destroying the sense of community is right on target too.

I think the only ongoing issue with the previous format was that some people really didn't like the types of messages that some other people posted. If they had the "ignore poster" option, that should fix it and leave all the good points in place.

Well good luck in any case.

-Ed
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Tom M
Site Founder

Thanks for the input Ed. Now for some responses

Quote:
...but I agree with a major thumbs down on the new format. If there were some view mode options to make all the catagories transparent, in effect undo the new mode, the would be great. But having to navigate down all the various catagories and individually down all the various threads and deal with multiple view panes makes board navigation more tedious than paying bills.
Actually, there are 3 different ways to get the "at a glance" answers you are looking for . The first is to hit "Quick View" on the top navigation panel. This brings up a listing of all threads with new posts in the last 2 days. The second option is to click on the "New Posts" link which brings up all new posts made since the last visit. Finally, on the home page there's the list of currently active threads on the lower right-hand side.

Quote:
The comment about it destroying the sense of community is right on target too.
The main thing that is missing at present is a "Threaded Forum View". Believe it or not but I'm working on resolving that. The current version does support threaded views for a single thread.

Quote:
I think the only ongoing issue with the previous format was that some people really didn't like the types of messages that some other people posted.
Sadly, that can happen with almost any package.

Quote:
If they had the "ignore poster" option, that should fix it and leave all the good points in place.
Ah, a point for us! You now have that option. In fact, if a really obnoxious user ever shows up the board has the ability to let him post - which they'll see, but nobody else will.

Once again, people need to be a bit patient. I'm pretty sure that the biggest shock for everbody is that it's different. There are many more advantages, not the least of which is it's easier to administer.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #14
wazzy35

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
The easiest thing to do is click on the "Quick View" link at the top of the page. This brings up all of the threads with new posts in the last 2 days.

The classifieds will be offline for a bit as an integrated version will be ready soon. This will eliminate the need to have separate registrations. If desired, I will put up a Classifieds forum in the interim.
wazzy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #15
wazzy35

Talking wazzy35

I'm so new to the Babblers (I just joined a few days ago) that I don't know what it was formerly; thus I can only say that I like what I see and look forward to visiting this site regularly. I'm also new to owning a Porsche (purchased last week) after dreaming about this day for over 50 years!
wazzy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #16
Blk 2k 2.7
Inactive

I agree the new foramt is a challenge.

I appreciate the hard work required to put this format in place and because of it I'm working hard to utilize it.
I am not yet to the point where I enjoy this format or can easily navagate it.
Blk 2k 2.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk