Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
tjorgeson

Boxster water under carpet issue

I recently bought a 99 boxster with 38k on her and find I am getting water under the drivers side carpet. It seems to come from the back to the front. Not sure, but I tried drying it and its been real hot this weekend yet the carpet is wet. Any best bet on where its entering from would be apreciated.
tjorgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Blubox03

Without tearing up the carpet and inspecting the floor board, I would first dry it out the best you can and then run a garden hose around the seals of the convertible top and door jams and upper part of window where it meet the seal and inspect for leaks. I guss I would try that first. Good luck.
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
dedes

Boxster Bath

Notice the drain cover (umbrella) just above the drain hole.

Boxster_bath
http://www.dietersmotorsports....

and the story goes like this

When you work in an automotive repair facility and it starts raining, itís only a matter of time before the tow trucks start rolling in. Usually the problems range from dead batteries to wet ignition system failures. ...

The car would not start, the top and door locks would not operate, and the lights were flashing like a bad 70ís disco video. Being suspicious of water damage on this very wet day , we starting poking around and found a non-factory installed option for this Boxster; an indoor swimming pool.

Under the driverís seat was about 2 inches of standing water. Normally this would be a small task for a good wet/dry vacuum. However on this model vehicle, a very important control unit was taking a bath in the depths of this new pool.

This little black box controls everything that is even remotely related to the alarm. This includes the top, the door locks, the windows, the lights, and of course the starting of the vehicle.

Renntech Forum thread
Water behind seat - Drain hole clog fix
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=15259

Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
ppbon

There's a part that's completely wrong on that post:
This umbrella is intended to keep dirt and debris from entering the drain hole and causing a blockage. When water is present, the umbrella floats, which uncovers the drain to allow water to exit the top storage area. In this case, the stem of the umbrella became brittle from the engine heat and broke of in the drain tube.
That little "umbrella" is not an umbrella at all. The drain is intended to be completely open.
The "umbrella" is a plug for the hardtop spindle mount on car's w/o the hardtop. Apparently it fell and the poster thought it was to cover the drain, then I guess he made up the part about it floating when there's water present.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #5
dedes

Thank you Pedro for your attention on this article.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman