Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 18th, 2001, 04:24 PM   #1
Catalog Guy

Help on rims?

Hi Babblers,

I am looking for a set of 17" rims for track use. I saw this ad in Excellence. They have the 37CA 17" rims in only 1 size....

front 17x8.5 w/50mm offset rear 17x10 w/58mm offset

Could these fit a Boxster? Any reasons to avoid rims of this size? What size tires might be appropriate?

Thanks! Andrew

Old June 18th, 2001, 04:46 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

The "front" is the factory size for the rear...

I am not sure if the offset would be correct when you put in the front. Also not sure about the offset of the rears. My *guess* would be that the offsets would probably work (but you should really talk to an expert like Robert or John at WheelEnhancement). IMHO, these wheels are also a little wide unless you want to get very aggressive with tire widths. My Kinesis track wheels are 8" and 9.5" wide. I run conservative 225/45/17 and 255/40/17 tire sizes which is about the minimum width for these size rims. The rims protrude farther than the tire, so they are easily damaged.

If you wanted to run 245, 275 series tires these widths would be fine, but I would still check with an expert to make sure the offsets are OK, and that the tires wouldn't rub. You will probably get some good feedback on the racing board.

BTW - if you get interested in competetive autocross, wheels this wide will probably take you out of the "stock" classes.
Old June 18th, 2001, 04:55 PM   #3
Catalog Guy

Wheel Enhancement says...

no way would the offset work... too good to be true!

Andrew
Old June 18th, 2001, 08:38 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

News *** Flash ***

Spoke with John @ Wheel Enhancement today. He is now the sole owner as he bought out Robert Wood (not sure how long ago.)

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman