Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #1
MeCCaJM

Question Brake wear light question..

hey.. my brake wear light came on the other day.. i've already ordered new pads, but don't have the time right now to install them.. i've only had my boxster for a couple months (got it used of course), and i was wondering how much is left on the pads when the light comes on?? thanks..
MeCCaJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #2
Docdanracy

Arrow

Actually you have quite a bit a brake material left when the light goes on.
I forget the exact amount since it will depend on what pads are currently on your car. You will probably need to order new sensors since at least one of them has been shorted out. That is how they work. It is a continuous circuit until it wears down and through. Now an open circuit, No way to repair...so you must get new ones.. Unless you can visually inspect and see which one is in need of replacement.
Or just override the sensors so the light will not come on at all. Then you just need to keep a visual inspection to see when they need replacement.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Dr. Zoom

If the light just came on you may get lucky and not need to replace the sensor. The way it works is if the sensor wire is grounded or the circuit is open then the wear light comes on. There's a bit of time where the wire is in contact with the rotor (and therefore is grounded) but hasn't worn through the wire. In such a case you can reuse the sensor. If they need to be replaced they're about $15 each as I recall and can be replaced w/o removing the pads - which means they can be replaced after you do the brake job if desired.
Dr. Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
dliggy

Brake pads

When "sport driving" the brakes can get very hot. The brake pad material acts as an insulator to the metal the pad material is mounted on and the brake fluid. The thinner the pad the less insulation and the faster your brakes fade when "sport driving". So when Porsche recommends you to change your brake pads you may still have plenty of brake pad left for normal driving but find your brakes fading when "sport driving" due to the heated brake fluid. This is why Porsche recommends changing pads when there is still plenty of material left.
dliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #5
RNajarian

Simular Brake Question

Hi Guys, Simular Question
Occasionally my brakes Squeek, but my brake wear light has not illuminated. Should I take it to the shop or wait for the Light?
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Tom M
Site Founder

Squeaking pads under light braking is usually due to glazed pads and/or rotors. Braking hard a few times in a row will sometimes help reduce the problem. It's pretty rare that there's actually anything the dealer can do to alleviate the situation. Instead, the best solution is to be a bit more firm when using the brakes.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman