Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Gary Di Mauro

Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hoses

I was kicking around the idea of going to braided stainless steel brake hoses on my 2001 Boxster. I did it on a 914 I owned many years ago and the brakes felt great. When I changed the transmission fluid in the Boxster recently, I noticed what looked like rubber brake lines in the area above the transmission. My car has the Stability Management option, so I thought it might be related. Or perhaps the anti-lock brake system? Makes me wonder if it makes sense to change the rubber lines to braided at the brakes and leave these other hoses rubber. The "weakest link in the chain" sort of thing. Do you guys have any thoughts on this, or am I off base with what I think is a brake hose above the transmission?
Gary Di Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Monster Boxster

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Stainless steel lines will improve stopping distance. Have read several articles over time where before and after data was taken the last one was a 996TT stock stopped from 80mph in 208 feet. With steel lines it dropped to 186 feet. Don't know what the other line is you found.

Good luck,

Larry
Monster Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Docdanracy

Exclamation Hi Larry,

How are you and Linda doing.
See you just joined our little forum.
Good to see you joining in on the fun.
I have regressed to the dark side.
I bought a 1974 914 2.0L about a week ago.
It will become my track car once I get all of my mods. completed.
I know, another one of those pesky 914s to deal with at AXs.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM   #4
KenJ

Okay Dan...

what kind of mods?... what class are you aiming at? Is this going to be 'smurfmobile II'? Didn't you have a 914 in a past life? Did we scare you away?

kj
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Docdanracy

Exclamation Sorry for the hijack...Bp?

If you are going to do track days the SS lines may help, otherwise don't bother. I will install them on my 914 when I do the modifications. Since this will be a dedicated AX and TT/DE car.

Probably BP to start then go from there when I rebuild the motor.
Collecting parts right now. Doing a 5 bolt hub conversion with M calipers on the front. 5 Bolt rears.
Torsion bars, springs, adjustable sway, lots of neg camber, etc.
Yes this is my 4th 914. I have been looking for a car for almost 2 years and this one just kind of fell in my lap. Verne (red Boxster) told me she had a neighbor with a '74 that had owned it forever and wasn't driving it anymore. He just wanted to pass it along to someone that would use it again. Runs great and has virtually no rust for a 914.
Got it for $2k and it already had Corbeau race seats, 5 point belts, new clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, new 8 spoke Empi look wheels and new Michelins etc. Has lots of other good stuff too. Has a 20 foot paint job that will be redone this winter. The guy put all of this stuff into the car and then never AXed or TT etc...
Car is a virgin...no factory sway bars.
Oh well,
just wanted a winter project and this one came along a little early.

Last edited by Docdanracy; August 3rd, 2005 at 09:20 PM. Reason: content
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6
Viktor

Project

Sounds like you got a great deal. It should be fun project getting it ready for next season. Any pictures of your new project? BTW are you still planning on AXing your Boxster?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman