Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
TI (Alameda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Also I'm not seeing a plug for the glass window defroster in my '99 is it under the carpet behind the driver's seat or does the plug have to be added?
Thanks.
That plug is behind the carpet panel on the driver side that covers up the seat belt anchor. One screw anchors that panel near the bottom, and I think one from above. The upper defroster plug itself is part of the plastic trim built into that carpet panel. The lower plug is used to connect it to the main wiring harness near the rear of the door sill opening.

Ron, I noticed that you mentioned you don't have a place to work on your car. If you did end up considering my convertible top as replacement, we could install it here. Since I removed it, I know the tricks (which are not much, frankly!). It'd probably take an hour total.
TI (Alameda) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI (Alameda) View Post
That plug is behind the carpet panel on the driver side that covers up the seat belt anchor. One screw anchors that panel near the bottom, and I think one from above. The upper defroster plug itself is part of the plastic trim built into that carpet panel. The lower plug is used to connect it to the main wiring harness near the rear of the door sill opening.

Ron, I noticed that you mentioned you don't have a place to work on your car. If you did end up considering my convertible top as replacement, we could install it here. Since I removed it, I know the tricks (which are not much, frankly!). It'd probably take an hour total.
TI pm'd you.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #13
ppbon

In my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Can anyone comment on any of these brands:
GAHH
Rich and Famous
Autotops
Robbins
Racegirl you installed a GAHH which top was it the Haartz A5 premium acoustic or the Sonnendeck?
Also I'm not seeing a plug for the glass window defroster in my '99 is it under the carpet behind the driver's seat or does the plug have to be added?
Thanks.
... the GAHH is the best aftermarket soft top for Porsches. The Haartz A5 Premium is the one, with or without glass.
I install about one per month and have not had any issues with their quality.
The plug is in the car already. There's a plastic box just next to the left rollbar behind the driver.
Pop off the cover and you'll se the plug.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #14
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Pedro, do you get any complaints about visibility or engine access via the top service position with the GAHH glass top? I will likely go with a new plastic window top and attempt the R&R myself. You should add the DIY instructions to PerdrosGarage. I know the manufacturers provide instructions, but I'm sure you know the "gotchas" that can make the difference.
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #15
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos View Post
Pedro, do you get any complaints about visibility or engine access via the top service position with the GAHH glass top? I will likely go with a new plastic window top and attempt the R&R myself. You should add the DIY instructions to PerdrosGarage. I know the manufacturers provide instructions, but I'm sure you know the "gotchas" that can make the difference.
I'm also undecided on going glass or staying plastic regarding this issue.
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #16
Tom M
Site Founder

Personally, if I was going to replace the entire top I would go with glass. However I live in a cold weather climate so I'm pretty sure that the rear defroster would get used as I use it when I have the hardtop on the car.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #17
ppbon

I have purposefully not done a DIY ...

Quote:
... for a soft top replacement because it is very difficult for a first timer to get it right.
The manufacturers do not include instructions either, for the same reason, and only sell to authorized resellers and installers.
You have to see one being done first and then work on a second one before you can be up to the task to get it all taught and wrinkleless.
I particularly don't like the glass windowed tops for 3 reasons (YMMV):
1.- Less Visibility
2.- Harder to access the engine compartment
3.- More weight than plastic
For a track junkie like me, they are all no-nos.

For a daily driver or an occasional DE'er, the glass window-ed top is fine.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #18
offshore

Are there any clearance issues installing the glass window top on the early Boxsters i.e. the last thing I want to hear when putting the top down is the sound of breaking glass.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #19
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

The problem with the early Boxsters is the frame folds in 3 places, when the glass window was introduced in 2003, the entire frame was changed to 4 folds, this is why you can't put a OEM glass top on an early Boxster. As Pedro mentioned, the after market glass tops have a significantly smaller window, aka "gun turret".

My dream would be to find a 2003 frame and top from a wrecked garage queen. Apparently for 2000 - 2002, it's plug & play, but for earlier Boxsters there are some modifications required for the top motor/cables.
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #20
offshore

Quote:
The problem with the early Boxsters is the frame folds in 3 places, when the glass window was introduced in 2003, the entire frame was changed to 4 folds, this is why you can't put a OEM glass top on an early Boxster. As Pedro mentioned, the after market glass tops have a significantly smaller window, aka "gun turret".

My dream would be to find a 2003 frame and top from a wrecked garage queen. Apparently for 2000 - 2002, it's plug & play, but for earlier Boxsters there are some modifications required for the top motor/cables.
Thanks Bob, sounds like staying with a plastic window has some advantages for the older Boxsters.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman