Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Bill Dally

Finally got it open.

I finally got the front trunk on my Boxster open. Here are the details for anyone else who has this problem.

First, what didn't work:

No amount of time with the horn beeping with the jumper cables from the post in the fuse box to the door latch would bring the voltage up enough for the alarm unit to recognize the key in either the door handle or the ignition.

I also was never able to find the pull cable in the right front wheel well.

What did work was pulling up the battery voltage via the cigarette lighter. My battery maintainer (750mA) wasn't able to provide enough current to do this, so I brought out a large (1kW) lab power supply, set the voltage to 12V and slowly started turning the current up. At about 2.5A the voltage jumped from about 3V to 7V and at this point the car was able to recognize the key in the door to turn the alarm off. At that point I put the jumper on the fuse box post and was able to open the hood. It took about 5min once I tried the lab power supply.
Bill Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dally View Post
I finally got the front trunk on my Boxster open. Here are the details for anyone else who has this problem.

First this is what didn't work:

No amount of time with the horn beeping with the jumper cables from the post in the fuse box to the door latch would bring the voltage up enough for the alarm unit to recognize the key in either the door handle or the ignition.

I also was never able to find the pull cable in the right front wheel well.

What did word was pulling up the battery voltage via the cigarette lighter. My battery maintainer (750mA) wasn't able to provide enough current to do this, so I brought out a large (1kW) lab power supply, set the voltage to 12V and slowly started turning the current up. At about 2.5A the voltage jumped from about 3V to 7V and at this point the car was able to recognize the key in the door to turn the alarm off. At that point I put the jumper on the fuse box post and was able to open the hood. It took about 5min once I tried the lab power supply.
You are very lucky you did not overload and burn the lighter's wiring harness in the process, it was never designed to handle large amounts of current. I would highly recommend against doing this.............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #13
baxter

you never answered loren's question. i am very curious why he wanted to know if your car is a row or uk.
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:26 AM   #14
alanorion

This is the cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not easily, otherwise thieves could just do the same thing. Some of the early cars, and those delivered in Europe, had an extra siren mounted next to the battery for the same reason. Remember, this is supposed to be a system to prevent getting into the car without disarming the alarm, which is not going to happen with a low battery.
i followedyour advice I covered the bonnet (hood) with the car cover and cushions
and closed the garage door I then connected a heavy duty battery to the fuse box and the door catch After ten minutes I pressed the car lock unlock button on the the key fob and it turned off the alarm. I had been trying to get under the bonnet for at least two hours using a battery charger this did not work on this occasion although it had worked in the past. Thank you for your help
Best wishes Alan
alanorion is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.