Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 12th, 2002, 12:28 PM   #1
bernard

boxster S squeeky brakes

I just started hearing my brakes squeek, can someone advice me on how to get rid of it?
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM   #2
x99shark

Re: boxster S squeeky brakes

How many miles do you have on your car (brake pads)?
I had that problem with another car before the pads were broken in and had it fixed by the dealership. They beveled the pads and the squeak went away.
Old March 12th, 2002, 03:44 PM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

Time to change your brake oil...

(just kidding - obviously) - hey, didja hear the one about the guy that changed the air in his tires?

Anyway, one of the things that Porsche is known for is telling P-car owners that the brakes tend to squeal. I know that when I'm driving my car harder than other times the right rear brake will begin to squeal slightly. It goes away once the brakes get less use (cool down?).

Old March 13th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #4
bernard

Re: Time to change your brake oil...

Thanks the reply x99 and that was funny MMD.
I rarely drive it that much and I only have 15K on it.
When I look at all the brakes I don't see any obvious scrapes on the discs. I suppose I get carried away sometimes and tend to abuse my brakes.
Any quick way of telling of the pads are worn out?
Old March 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Boxster Spice

That pic reminds me of the Far Side toon

about the Prehistoric kids playing "barrow". One kid is holding the feet of another kid whose face is plowing into the ground.

Other great spoofs on prehistoric games include "rock". "1-2-3, rock. Dang, tied again." tee hee.
Old March 13th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #6
Tool Pants

Re: Time to change your brake oil...

If the pads are worn so much that they need to be replaced the sensor would have come on. 15k miles is not much for a street car. I have 37k on my '97 pads and there is more left.

To check what is left take off the wheel and look at the pads. It is easy to see how much friction material is left. Or, stop by a Babblers get-to-gether and we will show you how to do it.

Jeff

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman