Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #1
bxstr s

Rear end noise

01 Boxster S, 30K miles, with a disturbing howl in rear end. Seems to be coming from right side, noise starts at about 10 mph and is constant, not rpm related. Seem to be louder with top, windows up. First thought it was a tire problem but changed out to new tires and the exact sound is still there. Any ideas? Thanks
bxstr s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Docdanracy

try getting up to speed and then pushing in the clutch and/or putting it in neutral and then see if the pitch of the noise changes as you decelerate.

might be a wheel bearing going bad...

also does the noise change in pitch or intensity as you change directions doing the above maneuver?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #3
KenJ

I have the same issue. I got new Bridgestone Re-01rs and noise has not gone away. I've replaced both rear wheel bearings and still have noise. It seems like the rear, but am no longer certain. Next step to replace transmission fluid and check for any metal bits, then, front bearings?

kj
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4
boxs2000

bearing noise will increase and decrease as you swerve left and right at lower speeds 20-25 mph. find a safe open area and try swerving if the moaning sound gets louder and weaker as yu swerve side to side then its the bearings and yes the fronts will have the same symptoms

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #5
arenared

I might be joining the club. Noise is drone, right-ish rear. It's in about the same droning range as exhaust resonance but still there with clutch in (not engine-related). Worse (or at least more noticeable) with top up. Increases with MPH, worst around 60 MPH IIRC. Have recently changed tires and brakes (in their due course). Was thinking of wheel bearings, but that didn't fix it for Ken, and it doesn't seem to change with side loading. Mine is '00 S, about 35K miles.

Ken, maybe you and I can hook up some time and compare noise to see if it's the same?
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #6
iko

I posted on ppbb today about this same issue...strange alignment of the stars for this to happen to others...

I have the same circumstances happen: MPH related and not RPM with or without clutch engaged, no change when I do the "just like how they warm up the tires before a race" swerve and it is starting to get on my nerves.
iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #7
ianoble

Did you ever find the cause of this problem? I'm getting the same thing and it's getting louder and louder, especially with the top up. I would rather not spend $700+ on barrings if that won't help.

Thanks!
ianoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

Even though this thread is a year old...

In my case it turned out to be a bad right rear wheel bearing. If you stop by the dealer or other mechanic they should be able to diagnose it for no charge. I had hoped it was just tire noise as it didn't seem to change much based on side loading. A test drive at the local dealer and subsequent inspection of the tires showed it most likely to be the wheel bearing and $500 later the noise was gone.

What was a bit odd was that the dealer price for the job was either lower or comparable to the indie shops in the area.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #9
flintworks

Most shops charge 3-4.5 labor hours for the job plus parts.
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
SCB

Ditto all of the above symptoms for my 2001 Boxster S. The noise is driving me crazy, esp. at about 65 mph.
SCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.