Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 24th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Patrick

Paint Protection question

Hi Everyone

First a short introduction: after lurking here for more than a year now, I finally took the plunge and purchased a 2003 Boxster S this past weekend. Claridge's had an in-stock 2003 S that fit most of my requirements so I made an offer and amazingly enough, they accepted it! So now, I have lots of questions while I hack and accessorize it to the way I want it.

That leads me to a question on rock-chip protection. Claridge’s is recommending Clear Armor in Mountain View. They run $995 for a complete protection package. Anyone has any comments about their work or knows of another source?

I'm in Danville, but anywhere in the bay area is good. I checked out Yoseif's recommendation for Stongard with Detailworks in Campbell and I'm waiting for a callback.

Thanks to everyone (especially MMD, Yoseif, Tom) for helping me over the past year with great advice and info. I hope to actually provide some content as I learn more.

Cheers!

Patrick
2003 Seal Gray/Blk/Blk
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Paint Protection question

I seem to recall discussions on that that no matter which product you use it's all made by the same company. In other words, it's just repackaged. If that is indeed the case then go with whoever does the best job of installation that's got a reasonable price.

Someone please correct me if the first part is incorrect.
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #3
JoshS

Welcome Patrick!

Congrats on your new S! I have the Stongard kit on my Seal Grey S. If you're in Danville, I would recommend B&S Hacienda (the body shop) in Plesanton. They install the full Stongard kit for $800 (parts and labor) and they do great work there. My car is there right now due to an unfortunate accident earlier last week... but give them a call. They should be in the phone book. BTW, all the kits are made by 3M.
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #4
Boxster Ben

I saw your ride....nice!!!!

Hi Patrick, welcome to the Babblers...I was in the passenger seat of my wifes new BMW Z4 this weekend when I saw a brand new Seal Grey Boxster S with a Claridges plate driving by the new Dublin mall on Sunday about 2:30-3pm...nice car...I figure that was you? I drive a Guards red 01 Boxster S myself and routinlly commute into Blackhawk to pick up my 13 yr old daughter...so flash your lights next time we cross paths!!!. This groups a blast...get that beast broken in...I'm going to try to hook up with the Doc Wongs group at next months Skyline rally. Take care, and once again, welcome!!! Boxster Ben/Pleasanton.
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Boxster Ben

Oh yeah...about the Stoneguard...

Sorry, I forgot to state the point of my post...the Hopkins group which owns most of the dealerships in Pleasanton (BMW,Lexus,Volvo) installs Stoneguard...one fellow does it and he is based out of the Lexus dealership...it runs about 500.00...we had it put on my wifes new Z4...you can not really even see it...of course her car is a metallic silver color...the Z4 has many rounded surfaces like the Boxster so I'm fairly certain the guys a pro...anyway, I can get you his name if your interested. Ben from P-town..
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #6
Olav

Re: ClearArmor in MtnView

Hi Patrick.

I had my '03 done by ClearArmor on delivery in late October -- I think I paid about the same for the "complete" package. As Tom said, what you're getting is 3M's ScotchCal product, custom cut and fitted.

Looking at the wear on the wheel wells of my 944 after 245K miles, I would have liked more thorough wheel well protection than what was provided. I think I've also seen more side mirror real estate coverage in other packages. These are minor quibbles; I'm happy with the job that ClearArmor did.

(FWIW, Carlsen's in Redwood City also works with ClearArmor in Mountain View.)
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #7
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: Paint Protection question

All of the companies use the same 3M material, but they all design and cut their own kits. While there are differences I think they are negligable. The most important thing is to make sure you get a good installer who has done Porsches before.

Yoseif
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #8
Magic Mtn Dan

Paint protection

Here's how you can get a good price...find out who does it for the dealers and then contact them directly. Tell them that you're a friend of the owner (wouldn't hurt to give 'em the owner's name). Watch the price drop to "wholesale." I'm sure they're slow(er) these days than they have been. Good time to shop (and buy a Porsche as you've found out).

Welcome to BABBLERS-land. I'm happy for you! Enjoy your Sssssssssssss!
Old February 28th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #9
Patrick

Re: Paint protection

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I had Clear Armor install their kit this morning. I went with them becuase Claridge's was backing them up and they also do work for Carlsen, so I figured that they wouldn't screw anything up. They also dropped their price down to the going rate that I found everywhere else.

The job looks good (just a few wrinkles and a bubble or two that should come out over time). I was suprised to see unprotected gaps (where the 3M film joined) but I guess that's normal. I'll do a recommendation submission after a few weeks. I want to see how it all looks after it 'cures'.

If anyone wants specifics, e-mail me.

Now on to the next project!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman