Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 18th, 2002, 11:06 AM   #1
Sheriff John

engine access cover removal (the one behind the seats)

I've been wanting to remove both access panels to do a little engine cleaning, but I can't figure out how to remove the panel behind the seats.

I haven't looked too hard, but I thought I'd ask.

Oh, probably don't need to remove the seats. What do you think?

thx for the help.
Old September 18th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: engine access cover removal (the one behind the seats)

As I recall all you need to do is remove the carpet that goes across tha back. To do so you need to loosen/remove some speed nuts that are hidden underneathe the carpet that goeas across the shelf area. Lift the front of that piece up and it becomes pretty obvious what needs to be done.

Once that's removed then you have access to the engine access panel. From here on you're on your own
Old September 18th, 2002, 11:23 AM   #3
Tool Pantsİ

Like this

Where have you been John?

Remove the rear storage bag/box then the carpet that covers the engine lid. The carpet on the rear fire wall is held in place with several round black plastic things that you unscrew by hand. You need to remove the carpet on the engine lid to get to these round plastic things.

Once you have remove the round plastic things the carpet just pulls off the the rear fire wall. Then the rear engine access panel is exposed. Undo the 10mm nuts that secure the access panel an remove it. Watch out - on some cars the metal panel has sharp edges.

I did not remove the seats. Just slide them forward and tilt them forward. Then there is plenty of room. Check your belt while you are cleaning.

Jeff

Old September 18th, 2002, 11:24 AM   #4
Sheriff John

thx, Tom

that's pretty much the same response I got from "the other board".

The other day, I poked and prodded on the carpet edges looking for some type of fasteners, but didn't look on the top row. Didn't want to get too agressive and start yanking!

I do recall seeing the carpet removed at a dealer and noticed that I needed a 8-10 mm wrench to remove the panel.

2 weeks ago, I was at "JB's" house in Irvine, CA. He had detailed his engine compartment. I've been saying to myself "john, you don't really need to do this" I cave'd! Got a weekend coming up soon without the wife & nothing to do.....Think I need to get a life! Ha!
Old September 18th, 2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Sheriff John

Great picture, thx.

Oh, I've been around, just slacking off! spending too much time somewhere else.

Took my kid to college and have been enjoying that "empty nest" feeling! Wife and I have been out-&-about.

Work has been getting in the way too.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.