Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne

Porsche Cayenne Porsche Cayenne Forum

Old February 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #1
Chatter Box

Cayenne vs Boxster S

You may have read in various mags or maybe my posts that the Cayenne Turbo is faster than the Boxster S at the North Loop. It's worse than we thought.

The Cayenne S is 1 sec faster and the Turbo is actually ~30 seconds faster according to an article in this month's R&T. The BMW X5 is 1 sec slower. What gives? Though powerful and quick for SUVs, the Cayenne S and the X5 accelerate much slower than the Boxster S and I can't imagine either of them handling better. Why the close runs? Do we just need a better driver to go out to the North Loop and set a better time for the Boxster S?
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Tool Pants©

Re: Cayenne vs Boxster S

If you go to your dealer they have a brochure that compares the specs for all current Porsches. From the 2.7 Boxster to the GT2, and it includes the Cayenne.

I know of 3 people who have driven the Cayenne and they say it is great - but of course they work for a Porsche dealership. I think you should be the test driver for R&T and show them what the Boxster S is made of.

Bob at AB sent me the first pic when he came back from Cayenne camp.

Old February 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #3
Chatter Box

Hehe. That's nice of you to say, but...

there are many guys on this board alone more qualified than I to set this topsy turvy world of SUV's beating our world class sports cars around the world's great road courses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cayenne basher. I think it's great and I'd lovvvvve to have one to tow my Elise 190 (which I also don't have) to the track. But even with all that power, I just can't figure out why it hustles so well.
Old February 4th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Tool Pants

You need a Liz

But check with these guys since you are tall. The UK Boxster board has several Elise owners who now own Boxsters. The Lotus has been out since 1996 (I think) and there is a series 1, 2, and I think 3 is the next version for the US with a Toyota motor. http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?s= Some of the cars have found their way into the US, registered, but I hear Customs is looking for them.

The UK Boxster board has said this is a good UK Elise site.

UK Lotus
Old February 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Chatter Box

It's perfectly legal to own a Euro Elise in the US

You just can't drive it on the street.

The way I see it, the US Elise, out soon, is no good as a commuter. And if you want to track a car almost exclusively, why deal with all the US regulations which just add weight to a car that is perfect for the track in its original form?

My ideal situation would be to have a tow vehicle and an Elise 190 in Euro trim (no cats, no airbags, no US crash regulations, etc). Just a really really lightweight 190bhp car on Hoosiers. Fun fun fun. Am I right, fellas?

But since I can't stand the thought of driving a tow vehicle (I hate trucks), I'll just keep piling on the $$ modifying my Box and getting it better and better for the track.
Old February 4th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #6
Tool Pants©

Well - some of them snuck into the US and got registered

Check the links I have given you.

http://www.southwestfloridaonline.co...1203lotus.html
Old February 4th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Chatter Box

I see. I wouldn't even register it.

Why give CA a dime for my track-only car?! hehe.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne