Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 30th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #1
chaiyz

Smile Need updated info on 2001 Boxster S OBC hack

Recently purchased a 2001 S model. I had a 1999 2.5 till 2004 and I never forgot how happy it made me so I finally picked up an S, 6speed.

I really liked how the speedo in my older boxster had digital readout in the center and I had 4 stalks in my 1999 and had access to the on board computer.

I've seen posts about yosifs OBC hack but all the links that I can find to those DIY pages are either forbidden or deleted.

Since it's 2016 and I'm savvy, I'd rather skip the stalk and use a switch up on the left radio pod. Anyone have a link? I guess all I need is the wiring of the switch and where I tie it into the cluster. I have a soldering station and access to all tools associated with stereo and A/V conversions.

Thanks for looking.

Chaiyz
chaiyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2
mikefocke

I too went from a '99 to an '01S and never did understand why Porsche moved the digital speedo to the left. Never saw a hack. Only to enable temp readouts and cruise IIRC.

Toolpants said he has the instructions. I've left him a note asking him to look for you here.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #3
chaiyz

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've read quite a bit but it's strange that all the people posting that they've put a switch in the dash and just wired it into the cluster don't show any schematic, drawing or photo reference. I'm sure it's out there. I even have an extra pair of windows switches with generic covers that will fit directly into the stock left dash.

I really do enjoy the sweet shifting 6 speed and the extra displacement of the 3.2 H6, but my 2.5 was very well optioned and had litronic headlights. That's another search I'm on. I'm never selling the car, if I blow it up, I'll either buy a 2nd hand 3.6 conversion or an LS conversion. I drive an Avalanche SUV with a 36mm turbo L33 5.3 and the way that engine moves the 6000lb. truck around quite nicely, it's almost inconceivable for me to imagine driving a boxster that'll make 600rwhp. Almost.

Best wishes.

Last edited by chaiyz; June 4th, 2016 at 09:12 PM.
chaiyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman