Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
RaisedOnPorsches

Exclamation Flat Tire!

So yesterday I discovered my right rear tire had gone flat while sitting in the drive way. Apparently while parking it on the roadside the day before I picked up a screw.

Considering the tire has about half its tread life left and the tire being a Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (~$270/ea on Tire Rack), my gut reaction was to get the tire patched. Upon inspecting the tire more closely, I also noticed some rather sever cracking in the treads of my tire as well! Apparently this screw was a blessing in disguise. See photos below:

Now both the rear tires were bought by the previous owner when he purchased the car from the owner before him. This was done approximately two years ago. Also note the owner before me NEVER drove the car. He put approximately 200 miles on it during his year+ of ownership. I've added a little over 5000 miles to the car since purchasing it. The date on this tire reads 30th week of 2006. These tires aren't brand spankin' new, but they're not ancient either.

My theory is this: these tires cracked due to sitting on the car unrotated for over a year.

I know the previous owner bought these through Sonnen Porsche. I also know this cracking is rather unusually for such high performance tires. Do I go to the dealer and complain? Do I save myself the time and fuss and just get some new rear tires of Tire Rack? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I do want to move away from the Pirelli's because they are simply too pricey for me. The majority of my driving is spirited back road driving and general commute driving. I don't really need the latest and greatest in high performance tire technology since I cannot afford the additional wear and tear of AX & DE events right now. Any recommendations? The Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport struck me as a decent compromise between performance, cost, and tread life.

My front tires are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso as well that I put on the car when I bought it in November. They should have another 10,000 miles left on them. Do I run mixed pairs: Pirelli in front and something else in back? Or do I pull the front tires as well and sell them for a fraction of their original price?

I realize Tire posts are as common as Oil posts and I have been reading old threads. I appreciate any fresh advice that you can add.

-Jeremy
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

http://www.iwirep.com/wp-content/the...3f-xtsmall.png
iWireP: iPod Connector Cables for 986/996

Last edited by RaisedOnPorsches; July 1st, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typos
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
70Sixter

Don't mix tires.

Many folks love Michelin PS2s, not exactly cheap either. Some report good results from Kuhmos. Not sure which version or even if they are N rated.

Do check with Tire Rack and local dealer (s). My dealer sells tires at Tire Rack prices w/o shipping charges. I think Tire Rack administers (or once did, there is a TSB) the Porsche tire program.

Some dealers are stealers.
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I've been very happy with Kumho XPS Ecstas. You can get Michelin PS2s at Costco for a decent price and I've generally heard no complaints about the installation. I order my tires from Tire Rack and have the shipped to Nielsen Automotive here in San Carlos. They have installed 10 tires on my car and another 8 on the other family cars, no complaints.
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
gerrygug

Check out the Yokohama S.Drive. Sounds like you would be satisfied with the cost/performance balance. Don't mix tires as stated above. You can get four S.Drives for the the price of two Rosso's.
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM   #5
RaisedOnPorsches

I bit the bullet...

I went ahead and bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. They're a newer version of an earlier line of tires (last one was RE750 I believe). They seem well reviewed. Tire Rack did a comparison of them to the Yoko S.Drive and two other "Ultra performance" tires. The Bridgestone came in at a close second. The first place tires (Michelin) aren't made in our sizes.

The Sumitomo's seemed like a bargain buy, but I am a little wary of investing in tires that are THAT cheap (under $100 each). The full set of Bridgestone tires including shipping to an installer was ~$600. As Gerrygug pointed out regarding the S.Drive, sets of tires in this range are cheaper than a new pair of Pirelli P Zero Rosso rears.

I'll keep you fine folks updated on things, including my first impressions of the tires. I simply did not want to wait until after next weekend to have new tires on the car.

-J
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #6
bigb

Now that you've already bought the tires, enjoy

Whenever I need to replace mine (later this year or early next year, depending on how much I drive), I'll choose between the Michelin PS2 (current - love 'em) and the Sumi HTR-III. IIRC Voxster has the Sumis on his car now, so I'm hoping to get a more personal feedback on those. I really like the PS2s, but who doesn't like saving $$$

Would also appreciate it if you could post a 'review' of the 760s. Oh, you alluded that your fronts will only have 15k miles worth of life (5k miles already, and 10k more before you said you'd have to replace them). On our cars the front set lasts roughly twice as long as the rears, so hopefully you won't have to change them for the next 20-25k miles or so. YMMV of course
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
RaisedOnPorsches

I ordered a full set of the 760s. So unfortunately I'll have to sell the almost new front tires of mine. I read that fronts usually last twice as long as rears on these cars (and Porsches in general). I'll likely put a post here, PPBB, and Craigslist once I'm done putting the other tires on. That way I can post some photos and determine if the other rear tire is still good or not.

It seemed like a rather large range between PS2s and the Sumi HTR-IIIs. Both of those are "Max" performance where the 760s are "Ultra" too. I am hoping the 760s will prove to be a nice middle ground between those two choices.

-J
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM   #8
mikefocke

Car and Driver August issue has a comparison of 17" tires.

Yes you keep the same tires on an axle...both tread design and depth. But the axles can be different. Not optimum but can be done.

I'd consider a tire model that had a tread design relatively similar to what I had on the fronts.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Oakster

Where did you get the tires installed?

I'm assuming that you bought the tires from tirerack. Where do you get them installed? I need to get new tires and wanted to know if there is a good tire installer near Oakland.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #10
RaisedOnPorsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
I'm assuming that you bought the tires from tirerack. Where do you get them installed? I need to get new tires and wanted to know if there is a good tire installer near Oakland.
I ended up buying my tires through TireRack and having them installed at J & O Commercial Tire Center. I went in on two different days (first day to get rears on & second to get fronts on) because my spare tire was too flat to safely want to drive on it.

The first day I had a so so experience. They were really backlogged because it was the first business day after a 3-day weekend. J & O mainly replaces tires for freight trucks, but they also have the latest equipment for installing ride flats and performance tires on standard vehicles too.

Day 2 was much more pleasant and they got the job done promptly while I waited around a chatted with a few of the crew (one fellow is a former Porsche mechanic). I was clear about the desired tire pressure and torque requirements for the lugs. Also I insisted on using the jack that comes with my boxster since I don't yet own the special jack pads. They were fine with all of this.

All in all, the service was thorough but a little slow. The price was cheaper than most places. The rims were a little dirty from the grease they used, but there was no scratching to worry about. I'd most likely go there again, and this time I would know what to expect (and bring a good book or make plans for the downtime).

Here is their site:

http://www.jandotire.com/

They're located in industrial west Oakland off of West Grand near Mandela Parkway.

-J
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman