Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne

Porsche Cayenne Porsche Cayenne Forum

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:20 PM   #11
Guy in Belmont

Ya, this one looks like it could be the 911'S' *NM*

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:27 PM   #12
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

I agree...

I just don't see a turbocharged Boxster happening. To do a good job with turbo's you really ought to have intercoolers, and I just can't imagine where those could go (without removing the rear trunk). Yup, they should just drop a 3.4 or 3.6L engine in the Boxster.
Old May 24th, 2002, 04:08 PM   #13
Paul in CA

Either way, I will be tempted to trade-in my 996 *NM*

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:36 PM   #14
Magic Mtn Dan

If I had a 996 I'd happily trade it in for a car that handles better

not many do but I'm convinced that a Boxster does. Of course, I'd glady "suffer" with a 996TT or a GT2 (or maybe a C4S).

Happy Friday! Enjoy your holiday! Be safe!

Can you see what's in this picture?

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:21 AM   #15
Chatter Box

The Toyota Solution

in the 2nd gen MR2 was to put a 2.2L in the standard car and a 2.0L in the Turbo model. It was intercooled, delivered 100bhp/liter and fit between the cockpit and the rear axle/rear trunk just fine. They just had to trim a bit of engine capacity to allow room.

So, while I'm not any more certain than anyone else as to the arrival of a Boxster Turbo, it could easily be done even if not on the 3.2. I think it will be a financial decision and not a technical or engineering one. If they can redesign the engine to be reliable under boost at a cost that keeps the car competitive, I think we'll get one.
Old May 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM   #16
Chatter Box

Interesting note about the Boxster's handling. LONG

The recent handling comparo in R&T looks on the surface like a shun to the Boxster S. It came in 6th overall and the only 2 cars that it finished in front of are the new fat M3 and the Mazda econo-car.

But a closer look at the details shows a different story. Most of the categories are horsepower related. It's one thing to have a slower exit speed because of difficulty getting the power down, but quite another when it's just because the power isn't there.

Herta even blamed the Boxster S's skidpad performance on power. He said it needed more power to overcome the understeer with power-on oversteer. As it were, it finished near the back of the pack on the skidpad. (.92g)

The easily missed highlight of the Boxster S is the maximum lateral acceleration category in the transition segment. The Boxster S achieved something like 1.38g which is just behind the 1st place Elise (1.41g). Those numbers are from memory and might be a smidge off. But the Elise was over 1.4g and the S was just behind it in 2nd place.

So, while handling means something different to everyone, to me it means which car hangs onto the road with the highest lateral grip. I know there are other characteristics of handling which are important to lap times. But it's up to each individual driver to determine what he or she is looking for in the way a car handles.

For me, based on what I look for, the Boxster S handles better than the 360, the Z06 and the 996TT according to the stats in this review. That's not why I bought it. I bought it because it's cheaper than the 360 and the 996TT. I'm not trying to BS anyone here. I'm just saying that as a point of fact, the Boxster S carried max lateral grip 2nd only to the Elise in a group of amazing cars. (I think it may have been a tie for 2nd place so maybe in stead of "better than" I should use "as well as".

There are some aspects of handling that while being equally important to a race car driver or any track enthusiast, are HP influenced. I think while this lack of power ultimately influences the overall speed a car can carry around a track or even the attitude of the car through a segment or a particular corner, if the fix to the "handling" problem is adding power, I don't think it's a reasonable discussion. I think handling should be confined to the car's limits which are due to weight distribution, size and quality of rubber, unsprung weight, suspension geometry/design factors, etc...

Maybe for the sake of argument, a car's abilities should be divided into yet another category: track speed. A car could be described with these tests...
1. Acceleration and top speed data.
2. Handling data based only on grip and change of direction.
3. Track speed which would fill in the gaps for what 1 and 2 left out.
Old May 29th, 2002, 06:07 AM   #17
Harry Wong

Re: Interesting note about the Boxster's handling. LONG

After spending 3 days in Formula Ford and Russell cars at Sears Point in their Techniques of Racing Course, I think I have at least an idea of how a great handling race car handles.

Anyway after those 3 intensive days, on the 4th day at Sears Point I was in my Boxster, complete with my street tires (SO2s)and I found the handling of the Boxster (Stock '97 with stock suspension) fantastic. I found that the car was extremely well balanced and very capable getting around the track.

The Boxster was very forgiving, much more so than the little race cars I was driving, much more balanced.

Getting past 996s, Turbos, ZO6's, and many other more expensive cars was a blast too! ;-)

Doc

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne