Old February 17th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #1
Catalog Guy

Cayenne Alternative

Cost is between a Hummer and a 777.....

http://www.maximog.com
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Robert (Agoura Hills)

i had the pick up version in Highschool

looked just like that ,,,awsome 4 wheeling ability amazingly easy to fix (when you could find parts) and back in the mid eighties they were super cheap at classic car auctions because there was no market for them. I bought mine for $7,400. But in only got 8 mpg. Sold it for a 69 911 S a few years later.
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #3
Robert (Agoura Hills)

i wish i kept it

blows me away at how expensive they have become.
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #4
Robert (Agoura Hills)

mine wasa UniMog, not a MaxiMog *NM*

Old February 17th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #5
Robert (Agoura Hills)

Re: mine wasa UniMog, not a MaxiMog

mine looked like this. but red,,,,they now go for 20k to 30K,,,,,,,,,it wasthe ultimate ski truck

Old February 18th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

Unimog is the ultimate offroad vehicle...

there may be others even more extreme but it doesn't get any better than a Unimog for offroading. If you did hold onto it you'da had an investment. Oh well, you got rid of it for a terrific sports car.
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Unimogs are available in nearby Colorado...

Mercedes Benz Unimog

The UNIMOG was originally designed in the late 1940's as a general purpose, all terrain Agricultural Tractor. It has evolved into so much more! You can spend more... but WHY???

Just a few of the available body styles are Troop/Cargo Carriers (as seen at the right), Fire Trucks (as seen at the right) and Radio Trucks with steel enclosure, furniture & auxillary heater! There is a UNIMOG built for every conceivable need! UNIMOGS are a very serious piece of equipment for the money! We import both Diesel and Gasoline Powered UNIMOGs. The most popular model is the 404.1. These Mogs are powered by a 6 cyl. 80-bph 2.2 Liter gasoline engine. 404.1 UNIMOGs have a 6 speed/2 reverse gearbox and shift-on-the-fly 4WD & Differential Locks! They feature 30 degree opposed axle twist, 43 degree lateral and a coil spring suspension.

Our UNIMOGS are in excellent condition! They are priced from about $8,000 FOB our facility in Littleton, Colorado. All street legal vehicles sold by Cold War Remarketing, Inc. include clear Colorado title (NOT some silly Registration!). To view our current inventory, click on the 'display our inventory' button near the top of this page. You may also contact us for further information. Shipping to ALL 50 States and Canada is NO PROBLEM!

You can get Unimogs & other military vehicles here (in CO)
Old February 19th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #8
Ad Sach(AZ)

Hmmmm ..center of gravity 5-6 feet off ground?!!?

If I had to choose between that photo where the center of gravity appears to be 5-6 feet off ground, and between a Hummer when angling down a steep slope, I think I'd go with the Hummer.

This 'mog may be able to go slooowwwwly over rougher terrain than a Hummer, but I'd be real nervous taking this guy over 15 MPH on rough terrain or over 40 MPH on a smooth highway.

Now the UniMog photos look more rational. This one looks like the car Ford would point to and say, "we aren't as tippy as those guys."

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne