Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne

Porsche Cayenne Porsche Cayenne Forum

Old April 27th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Ed

Cayenne auto crosser

Went to an autocross yesterday. Demo Cayenne S's were there. A good driver in a Cayenne is faster than a slow driver in a (2.5L) Boxster (me). Better Boxster drivers were faster (thank heavens) than the better Cayenne drivers.

Saw a bumper sticker there that gave the sage advice needed to go fast, "Keep your foot in it until you see God, then brake."
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Re: Cayenne auto crosser

Bob Stewart from AB sent me this when he went to the Cayenne thing in Alabama a few months ago.

Old April 28th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Chatter Box

Porsche Driving Experience.

Maybe Hurley was sandbagging, but a friend of mine just went to PDE in Atlanta and said that Hurley Haywood chased a Cayenne Turbo with a 911 and couldn't catch it. I don't know who the other driver was, but it wasn't Hurley Haywood. He said the only place the Cayenne Turbo lost ground was under braking but pulled away in the straights and held its own in the turns. He also got to drive a Cayenne Turbo and said it felt like a Boxster S in balance and stability.
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Ya gotta remember, Hurley sells Porsches...

... so there might have been a bit of gamesmanship going on.

Are they still doing PDE at Road Atlanta? (I thought they had already moved to the new Barber track in Alabama.) If so, that long back straight would give the Cayenne Turbo some room to stretch it's legs. The downhill turn onto the front straight is also quite fast.
Old April 28th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Chatter Box

Yeah, I'm skeptical about that, too.

But this one (not sure of exact date) was at Road Atlanta. BTW, the guy that told me about it AX'd last year in a TT, this year in a GT2, is waiting to take delivery of his Cayenne Turbo (hopefully he'll AX it) and on the wait list for the Carrera GT which he says he'll AX too. I bet the crowds at the AX's get bigger if he does.
Old April 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #6
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

they autox'd better than i expected...

at saturday's autox, most cars w/r-compound were doing 34's thru 38's. street tires were 37 - 42+. a couple of drivers put the cayenne s's thru in 38's. WOW! and although it's not the vehicle for me, they certainly look better in person....
Old April 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #7
Chatter Box

Where did you ax?

I thought there weren't any PCA ax's until May 31st. I only keep up with GGR though.
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #8
Ed

Autocross

Doug's being humble, he was the fastest of all the Boxsters, and competitive with or better than other Porsches. He beat Boxster S's, although Doug, I've never asked you how you've tweeked yours!
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #9
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

it was part of sac valley's CRAB event *NM*

will you be there next year?
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #10
Chatter Box

Ohhh. How was it? BTW, will you be at the GGR events this year?

I don't believe I've ever seen you there. I'm bad at walking up to strangers and asking them if they're BABBLERs but if you see a black Boxster S with 888 on the doors, say hi. I'd love to meet you. Our next ax is May 31.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne