Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Macster

'02 received new windshield yesterday...

Had the work done at my employer's location, in big empty space in back of buildings.

Went through my insurance company (CSAA) and they deal with Safelite (Auto?) Glass. (Receipt for work's not handy to verify exact name.)

Took installer just about 2 hours.

Opened top about half way. Removed V1.

Installer removed panels to expose base of windshield. He also removed wiper arms.

Had glass out in no time. Used a thin bladed pry tool, slid blade in under glass, and worked it to break grip of glass with glue/seal/gasket.

Examined new windshield. CSAA denied my request for "factory" glass, but the glass installer brought along had same brand name as original glass.

All numbers -- save for what I suspect were the date/time manufacturing codes -- were the same.

Same size, shape, tint. Only real difference I saw -- and so did installer -- is rear view mirror attachment point (glue pad?) was about a quarter of an inch (or less) off in the vertical axis, but (after having driven car now not enough to make any difference).

I saw no metal frame. I saw no evidence old glass had been leaking. Installer put in new gasket/seal/glue (the thing serves/incorporates all functions) and new window.

When got word he was finished, went down and paid insurance deductible ($500).

Was warned not to wash car for a day or so. (As a precaution, I washed car the morning the appointment was scheduled.)

Installer put tape across where top of glass fit into window frame and said to leave it on until got home.

Got to tell you: new glass almost makes car like new.

No more viewing the world through Picasso's eyes... That big crack across line of sight is no more.

All the tiny uncountable pits gone. All the larger cracks, and blemishes from over 150,000 miles of use are gone.

Oh, radio works better now, because largest crack went through radio antenna affecting its ability to pick up signal.

Don't know how this glass will hold up, but so far (fingers crossed!) looks good!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I'm glad to hear it was a success. Do you know what the total bill was, just curious.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Macster

Total bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos
I'm glad to hear it was a success. Do you know what the total bill was, just curious.
IIRC, the "estimate" on the work order was for $524 and change. CSSA appears to be out around $25... I'm out $500 (deductible). Yeah, my own fault for having a high deductible, but this my first vehicle insurance claim in about 35 years...

Had I chosen to bypass the insurance company, I got some online quotes at around $825, and the dealer's service quoted me around $1300.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I hope CSAA doesn't raise your rates as a result of that massive $25 disbursement! Did you have the option to pay the entire cost and skip the insurance route, or was that a negotiated CSAA/Safelite discount?

Nice to see your premiums at work.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Macster

Hope CSSA doesn't raise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos
I hope CSAA doesn't raise your rates as a result of that massive $25 disbursement! Did you have the option to pay the entire cost and skip the insurance route, or was that a negotiated CSAA/Safelite discount?

Nice to see your premiums at work.
I hope too that my rate doesn't go up. To have to pay $500 deductible and then a higher insurance premium would be adding insult to injury.

Fine print of insurance policy says claims against comprehensive coverage do not *usually* result in an increase in premiums.

My insurance policy doesn't come up for renewal until next July, though I'm sure if CSAA decided to raise my policy it would not wait until July to let me know.

I don't think my rates will go up, given that CSAA appears to be out but just a few dollars for my claim.

Looking backwards in time (which for an insurance company is looking forwards in time) one non-collision related claim for a few dollars in over 20 years of time with the company has got to be below the noise level of claims increase reasons.

'course, if CSAA raises my rates, then other companies that send me enticements -- almost every week it seems -- to switch insurance companies could end up comparing more favorably against what I did pay for CSAA and any one of these companies could end up with my insurance business.

Not too happy that CSAA inadvertenly left an old garage zip code in effect on my car policy for a year that resulted in my paying more for insurance that I would have otherwise.

I learned, the hard way, it pays to read one's insurance policy a bit more carefully.

Check your policy and if there is a separate field for vehicle garaging zip code vs. your residence code, be sure both are the same and correct, unless you garage your car in a different zip code from which you reside.

Finally, driving to work this AM enjoying nice new windshield -- and regained radio reception -- and just before I reached my exit on southbound 880 heard the sharp crack of a (small) rock hitting windshield.

Avoiding scanning for any visible damage until reached work.

Found none.

But still, too close for comfort.

Does anyone make a protective bra for a windshield?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Just add one of these, it will really jazz up the front end! I always wondered if insurance companies quantify the claim, or if it works on a point system, 1 claim = 1 point?
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Tomy996

Factory W/S or no

Since Porsche obviously does not make their own glass, if your W/S has the "bug" or brand on it that says "Saint Gobain- Sekurit", you got a "factory" W/S. Rejoice!
Tomy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #8
KNTJAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy996
Since Porsche obviously does not make their own glass, if your W/S has the "bug" or brand on it that says "Saint Gobain- Sekurit", you got a "factory" W/S. Rejoice!
Living here in the desert of SOCAL, with all teh sand and gravel on the road, I've had Safelite come to my house and replace windshields on two of my Jaguars and the Mustang. So far haven't had to do the Boxster (knock). Have been very pleased with quality of workmanship and supplies. No affilation with this company, just satisfied with service.

Must say I do enjoy the info from this forum. Read reguarly but don't have much to post. Thanks

Butch (kntjafo)
29Palms CA
KNTJAFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman