Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
offshore

How The 356 Was Made

If you're interested in how the 356 Porsche was made watch these 5 digitized videos from the 60's. Note the lack of automation, no masks or breathing devices in the primer room and how the transmission was balanced when mounted. An amazing process from sheet metal to finished car.
http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2009/...d-porsche-356/
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
hotrod356

That was very cool. Thanks for the links. You gotta love these little cars
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Jeanne T

Those were amazing. I passed it along to 356 friends. I was kind of surprised to see women doing some of the engine assembly. They did have safety glasses, but wore them on top of their heads.
Jeanne T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4
offshore

I glad you're enjoying it as much as I did. I couldn't believe the guy who balanced the transmissions on his knee to install them. I'd heard that VW motors were set on a guy's chest and he was wheeled under the car to install them but thought it was just a tall tale, now I'm not so sure it wasn't true.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk