Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old July 25th, 2001, 05:57 PM   #1
Magic Mtn Dan

I know you're a great driver but here's why you need to get out on a track!

If you haven't driven your Boxster on a track, you simply can't know what your Porsche (or you) can do. I know there's all kinds of excuses for not driving it on the track but they just that, excuses.

Tracking your car is NOT abusive to your car. Tracking your car IS safer than driving on the street (you don't have to worry about cars and trucks going the other way, pedestrians, stoplights, crap in the road, etc., etc. All you've got is other drivers who are really paying attention, going the same direction as you - well, 99% of the time they are (wink)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1
but you don't know how good you are until you get to push yourself and your car a little bit. Once you get to what you think your and/or your car's limits are then you enter what I call "the pucker-zone." That's when you see how much more you're willing to go - yourself and your car.

Trust me when I tell you, you'll hit the pucker-zone sooner than your car will. The Boxster you're driving can do WAY more than you can. I know that for a fact because one of the great benefits of going to a DE (Driver's Ed) at a track is that you get to ride in instructors' cars. Once you ride in a Boxster or Boxster S (and the other cars too) and see what they can do in the capable hands of an experienced driver, you'll realize just how far away you are from the limits of your beloved Boxster.

Do yourself and your car and your driving skills a favor - get out on the track sooner rather than later.

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

PS: TracQuest (www.TracQuest.com) has a great DE coming up next month at Buttonwillow in Bakersfield area - it's on a Sat/Sun and you can still sign up!
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:10 PM   #2
David

Re: I know you're a great driver but here's why you need to get out on a tr

Dan,

Great post! can you share what the price for somewthing like this is? I live very close to Sears Point which, as I understand, is not as forgiving for cars as it is motorcycles, is Bottonwillow a better track to run on? For the first timer?

thanks,
David
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:45 PM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

Anyone else want to have some fun in your Boxster?

The first thing I should say is that I'm not affiliated with Todd Serota or TracQuest. And while I strongly recommend TracQuest, I hope you'll take your car out on the track.

That said, Todd/TracQuest runs great events - tracks, instructors, food - they does it all.

As for info - click on the link below.

Click here to go to TracQuest's Buttonwillow info page
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:15 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Buttonwillow is a GREAT track for first-timers.

It's where I went for my first track event last August. It's got lots of run off room if, by chance, you should need it. So other than being terribly warm in August it's a great place to experience the thrills and excitement of running your car without worrying about getting a ticket!
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:22 PM   #5
Trygve Isaacson

Sears vs. Buttonwillow, ...

It's not a major issue, but personally I would recommend first timers do an event at Buttonwillow or Thunderhill if it's available, over Sears Point or Laguna Seca. The key word is "forgiving", as in consequences if you make a big mistake. It's not that you really run a large risk of damaging your car at SP or LS, but it's just that at a very forgiving track like Buttonwillow or Thunderhill, the risk is very near zero because even if you make a mistake and go off-track (which hopefully you'll avoid on your first day by being duly cautious) there's almost nothing you can hit. This is not true at Sears and Laguna. Once you get your feet wet with a track event, then a less forgiving track is something you can approach with some understanding of the risks.

Put it this way: I can tell friends who consider taking a first time class at TH or BW that it is almost impossible to damage their car if they take their time. I can't quite honestly say that about SP or LS, because although the risk is still quite small, at pretty much every event I've been to at those venues, at least 1 car goes home on a flat bed trailer with some minor damage. Now, 1 out of 100 is not that bad considering it's not major damage, and that in many cases that 1 person probably was either a) a first timer being way too aggressive, or b) a more experienced driver starting to push it a little too hard and making a mistake at an unfortunate location on the circuit.

That said, both Sears and Laguna are very fun and more conveniently located, and if you approach them with an extra dose of caution, doubly so where the walls are near, you will be fine. There is no need to go really fast on your first day. When I instruct a newbie, the first thing I want to see them do is be very smooth, and nail the racing line (braking point, turn-in point, apex, exit) consistently, before I start suggesting how to go faster. I do not want to ride in a car that is trying to go super fast when its driver isn't driving the racing line consistently -- take a bad line too fast, that's where trouble starts.

So, bottom line: Sign up for the TracQuest event at Buttonwillow!!! You'll have an absolute blast, and the trip down is really not that far.

Sorry for the long posting!
Trygve
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:38 PM   #6
David

Re: Sears vs. Buttonwillow, ...

thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it, I mgith hold out for Thunderhill, I think it's a bit closer for me, being about a half hour north of the city. again, thanks!

david
Old July 25th, 2001, 11:24 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Don't wait

Buttonwillow will be hot but Thunderhill could be rainy late in the year.

There will be a BABBLER caravan down to Buttonwillow on Friday afternoon and you can join in that fun.

Don't delay. If you go to Buttonwillow next month you'll be able to go to Thunderhill later in the year if one comes up. Once you get out there you'll want to do another (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

We're working on putting together a day at Thunderhill in the fall/winter timeframe.
Old July 26th, 2001, 12:43 AM   #8
pin

I second that Dan!!!

Hope that I can join the Babblers caravan to Buttonwillow next month (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Cheers,
pin
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:49 AM   #9
Todd Serota (L.A.)

Re: Your First Track Event

Hi David:

It's up to you, of course, but here's a really good reason to come to Buttonwillow, aside from partying with your fellow BABBLERS. I have (TracQuest has, but that's me!) an event at Sears Point in December. While I wouldn't recommend NOT doing your first event at Sears Point, I agree 110% with what Trygve said in comparing the two. Buttonwillow and Thunderhill are two of the best tracks in the country for first timers because there's lots of runoff with very little to hit, if you do get a bit overzealous. If you come to Buttonwillow for your first event, you'll be ready to go to Sears Point with some experience under your belt. You may be able to get out to Thunderhill before Sears, but it doesn't sound like there's anything definite.

Also, WHO you run your first event with matters. There are many people renting out tracks and running "track days," and they do a great job, but many of them have very little or no instruction, and thus are really only for experienced drivers. TracQuest is geared for people like you, who have never been on a track before. I've got what I think is the best group of instructors anywhere, mainly because I personally select the best instructors from all of the clubs - POC, PCA, BMWCCA, SCCA, QCUSA, etc. I'm able to do that because I'm not limited to one marque as many clubs are. Whether your first event is with TracQuest or someone else, just make sure there is ample instruction, and that it's high quality.

I hope to see you at Buttonwillow. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Todd Serota
tserota@tracquest.com (TracQuest high speed driver education)
tserota@vinoquest.com (VinoQuest wine business)
tserota@mindspring.com (law firm and home)
www.tracquest.com (TracQuest web site)
www.tracquest.com/deboard (TracQuest/Rennlist message board)
www.vinoquest.com (VinoQuest web site)
Old July 26th, 2001, 12:33 PM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

Speaking of which - John Cole (one of your instructors) was great!

Do you have his e-mail address Todd? I know he's from the Bay Area and it'd be good to get in touch with him.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing