Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Willy

Trip advice - your favorite stretch of road.

One of these days, I'm going to get in my car and head out. Keep in mind I am in the heart of Iowa.

I'm going to go to Texas/Arkansas. I hope to drive out to Phoenix and perhaps other points west.

If you were going to drive a road with the top down in gorgeous weather, what stretch of road would you drive and when (ie. July, September)? Why?

I have an area here where I drive that I love. Very little, if any, traffic. Gorgeous views, etc.

Thanks.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Are you going for scenic and fun roads or is there a time limit on how far/long you drive each day?

Do you want to do any sightseeing?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Willy

I'm all about seeing sights. If it takes me two weeks, it takes me two weeks. I'm in no hurry. I would prefer to see some out-of-the-way places, ie. riding down I-80 isn't my idea of seeing our land.

Here's the deal guys, if you are younger than me, get this in your heads now. I'm recently 53. I'm really shocked. It seems like just yesterday I was 21 when I had the world by the tail, not to mention a hot blond. Listen up, take your time, slow down and enjoy life. That's what I am going to do now and I wish I had done so a long time ago.

So, where do I go? Highway 1 in Cali? Been there, when I was 20. I've never been to Maine, Virginia, Carolinas, Kentucky and those areas. Never been to Washington or Oregon.

Tom, hope this helps. Thanks for the quick reply.

Will
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

Here goes then. I used this route when I picked up my telescope a few years back in New Mexico.

I'll start at Santa Rosa, NM. How you get to there someone else will need to fill in.

From Santa Rosa head east on 40. When you get to the SR84 cutoff head north. This will take you along historic route 66. You can follow this all the way to Las Vegas - New Mexico that it . If you choose to visit LV, when done head back out 25 toward Santa Fe. At Santa Fe I'm pretty sure we turned north along SR84 and then headed up 68 into Taos. Leaving Taos we took SR64 headed west. This will take you toward AZ and Four Corners, where you can stand in 4 States at once, by taking SR160 in AZ. You can then double back on SR160 where it will join up with SR89. This will take you by the Grand Canyon and into Flagstaff. In Flagstaff you can visit Lowell Observatory and not too far out of the area to the east is Meteor Crater. Heading west on 40 will take you to Kingman and from there you can head either to LV NV or Bullhead city. You can also head out toward Death Valley. I'd recommend staying at Furnace Creek Inn (it's a bit pricey but very nice). From DV you can head up the eastern side of the Sierra's to Lake Tahoe via 395 of go up the wesern side and visit King's Canyon and Sequoia Nat'l Parks.

The part through NM we did in two days as we spent the night in Taos after leaving Santa Rosa. The trip from Taos to Flagstaff is pretty long so you might want to stop off someplace as the the roads are scenic but a bit on the slow side - we got into Flagstaff pretty late that night as I recall.

Hope this at least gives you some ideas.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Willy

Thanks Tom. This is just what the doctor ordered.

My wife and I visited the Grand Canyon for the first time last year. Incredible. Simply incredible.

We have talked about visiting Taos. We frequent Sedona, AZ and love it there.

Thanks again.

Will
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #6
wbonsell

Hey Will....
I'm a California transplant to the Pacific Northwest. Lots of great drives along the Cascade rim in the northwest from Oregon to Washington. Also, HWY 49 running north and south through the Sierra's can be gorgeous in Sept/October. Oregon and Washington Coast is pretty lame for highways...nothing compared to Hwy1 from Monterey to Santa Barbara.

September in the Northwest is fantastic. No rain and decent temps. I would head northwest out of Iowa to Montana, Idaho and into Washington. Tremendous vistas!! Have fun....and us old guys (I'm two months shy of 59!) can still enjoy the road trips...we just have to stop a little more often, right??
LOL

2000 Boxster - Guards Red/Savannah Beige

"do the right thing...yield to faster traffic"
www.lanecourtesy.org
wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Willy

Quote:
we just have to stop a little more often, right??
Yeah, I don't have all the hair I used to have either but you know, it's hard to grow grass on a playground.

I've been on Highway 1 and it is pretty.

You and Tom have certainly given me some ideas.

Willy
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #8
057adnoh

we just came back from the cabot trail in nova scotia incredible!!! whale watching , great sea food. crossed over from maine (bar harbour) on the high speed cat took the coast roads north to the cabot trail. on the way home stopped in quebec city (old quebec) dont miss that.
057adnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Paralizer

If you are going to Phoenix...

head for Prescott, Arizona after you're done there. From Prescott pick up Hwy 89A and head for Jerome, Arizona. You will travel through some incredible scenery while traveling on one of the greatest driving roads in the southwest. I'd personally advocate spending the night in Jerome at the Connor hotel. Recently renovated 100+ year old hotel with fantastic rooms. From Jerome continue down to Cottonwood and on to Sedona. From Sedona stay on 89A and head for Flagstaff. Again you will pass through incredible scenery and travel on a nice "Boxster" road. From Flagstaff you have plenty of options including some Rt. 66 time if you desire.

If you do come to California the options are limitless. A couple of months ago one of the car magazines, I think Automobile, did a piece on several of the lesser known roads in California that traverse the Sierra's.

And if you head way north, a trip through the Candian Rockies is always highly recommended. The weather should still be really nice in September.

Have a great trip and don't forget to keep us updated with pictures along the way.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman