Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
crazyboy

Body dent by mechanic?

Hey guys,

I just picked up my 2001 boxtser s from the porsche mechanic who changed the rear trunk dampers and now I noticed a dent that wasn't there before as far as I remember.. The funny thing is the dent it outwards, I dont see anything from underneath, anyone care to comment as to how I could have a dent coming outwards and not inwards? Attached is a picture!

Thx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20111106-00038.jpg  
crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

It's a bit tough to see but the most common culprit of an "outie" is that the lid was closed with too much stuff in the trunk. A paintless dent repair person can fix it with a few whacks using the proper tools.

Unless I was 100% certain it wasn't there before I dropped the car off at the shop I'd be reluctant to bring it up. OTOH, if you've never closed the lid with stuff sticking up then there's always the chance that it happened while at the shop.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
crazyboy

I never take out this car, it is just a car to go to the gym and chill with..I work for a car inspection company and almost remember every scratch on my car

I noticed the dent right after it came back from the repair chop, car sleeps in the garage and is rarely parked on the street for more then a couple of hours.

I've never put aything more than a gym bag in the rear trunk. What's bugging me is that the dent is outwards and underneath there's a second layer with accress only through a hole, wonder if they used that hole to put a piece of stick to hold the trunk while changing the hydraulics and it caused the damage. Also scratches were noted underneath the trunk.
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

It sounds like it's under one of the support pieces. Does it appear to be in the same line as the crossmember? If so, the other way to get a reverse dent is for the entire lid to be depressed down over the support. Look carefully to see if the defect lines up with the direction of the support member. It's rare for this to happen but it did happen to me several years ago when a deer (a yearling) slid off the front trunk lid after a slow speed encounter. I noticed the "outie" but the dent repair guy notice the entire lid was depressed and popped that back out before fixing the more obvious problem.

Perhaps the repair shop placed something heavy on the lid to keep it in place?

In any event, it sounds like you may want to talk to them about the situation.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #5
crazyboy

wow, that's great information, thanks for taking the time to write it!

I will take pictures of the (2x) 1 inch scratches on the inside part of the lid along with which part of the support piece has the "outie" on the outside, I have a feeling they used something to hold the lid up while changing the hydraulics which caused all this.
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #6
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I had that happen after grocery shopping when I closed the lid with a bottle of laundry detergent in the trunk. It's likely the mechanic had a tool or tool box in the truck while doing the work and dropped the lid at some point. As Tom said, it's a quick (~$100) paintless dent removal job.

I used Dent Wizard, Gary does great work and is mobile, so he comes to you. There is more info in the Recommendations section.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #7
flintworks

Also Doug with Deluxe Dent is really good and has done a few of our car care days. www.deluxedent.com

As a mechanic I can't imagine how I would cause that dent by replacing trunk shocks but anything is possible.
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman