Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Bill Dally

Battery Dead

When I went to start my 02 S this evening all I got was a clicking noise. This even though I drove the car earlier today. After 20 minutes of driving and a 2 hour wait it again wouldn't start. I suspect I need a new battery. The one in there is about four years old.

Two questions: (1) Is there any chance this is covered under the warranty? I have about two months left. (2) Where is a good place in the Bay Area to get a new battery? I prefer to put it in myself but need someone who will take the old one back and get rid of it (in an environmentally sound way).
Bill Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
(1) Is there any chance this is covered under the warranty? I have about two months left.
Unlikely though it has been known to happen.

Quote:
(2) Where is a good place in the Bay Area to get a new battery? I prefer to put it in myself but need someone who will take the old one back and get rid of it (in an environmentally sound way).
Check out this thread for additional info.

I bought mine at AutoZone (48-DL) for $65 and it's an easy DIY project. Other than Costco, most places have a core charge which acts as an incentive to return the old battery (I guess Costo may accept your old battery as well in the tire dept.) Others have used a Group 47 from Costco. Prices will run about $50-$65 depending on size (Group 47, Group 48) and/or purchase location.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3
Bill Dally

Thanks Tom (NM)

I'll check out the thread.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #4
CBoxster

Costco will take the old battery at the tire center.
CBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Bill Dally

Got the battery at Kragan

Autozone was out of stock on the 48 and Costco doesn't open until 10 so I went to Kragan and got one for $85. $20 more, but I needed to get to work. The install took about 2 minutes - 13mm nut on the clamp, two 10mm nuts on the cables, and move the vent tube. Then I spent 20 minutes hunting for the radio code.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman