Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
baxter

What would you do?

Took my baby in for her 80,000 mile service, and the car gets involved in an accident. Looking for thoughts and advice on how to procede. Police reports were filed and fault was the other driver, not the dealer person driving my car. I am still trying to absorb all this, as I think I am in shock right now. But how can I ever be whole again. I took in a car valved at x amount of dollars and after repairs, assuming insurance does not total it, i get back a car that has been involved in an accident, grossly affecting the value of my car. I have no experience in matters such as this. Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Sorry to hear that. My Box was stolen by bank robbers when at the dealer for service. The car had some minor damage, but the dealer's insurance covered everything and did provide for diminished value. That was 10 years and 100,000 miles ago, so I was glad I made the choice to keep the car.

I hope they treat you fairly.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #3
baxter

i remember when that happened, Bob.

so they did provide for dimished value? how did that happen? did they do it as regular course of business or did you have to fight with them?

Last edited by baxter; August 28th, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
i remember when that happened, Bob.

so they did provide for dimished value? how did that happen? did they do it as regular course of business or did you have to fight with them?
I had my insurance agent, who was a friend give me advice. The dealer was very cooperative, they paid to have my house locks changed because the thieves had my keys (I no longer hand over the full set) and access to my registration. I hope you have a positive outcome. Good luck!
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #5
baxter

Thanks, Bob. A friend from the Club is an adjuster with years of experience. I have contacted him and he is leading me through this process. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:41 PM   #6
bapcha

Baxter.....

Too bad about the accident. Hope everything works out in the end.

Bapcha
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:35 PM   #7
mikefocke

I totaled my '99 years ago and got more in a no muss insurance settlement than I had paid for the car ~5 months earlier.

Be cooperative but stay on top of the process.

If they do total it, you can remove any mods and replace them with standard parts. Don't forget any CDs.

Your insurance probably has to be informed even though they won't be paying. How much diminished value is on a 9 year old car (even a Porsche) will be interesting if they don't total it. Have you seen the car since the accident?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #8
baxter

Turns out the other driver is not insured, so I am forced to turn this over to my insurance. Working through the process now but not thrilled with my company. The car is not totaled. My estimate at the repair company is around $7500. I have filed the required forms with the state over the uninsured driver deal. Supposedly they will revoke her license and make her pay up with my insurance. I am too early into this to know anything for sure. Tried to upload a couple of pictures but I'm doing something wrong. The car was driven to the shop for an estimate so it is drivable.
Old January 14th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #9
mikefocke

So what happened and what was the insurance company?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #10
baxter

I didn't follow up with this because I was so pissed and the whole affair became such an unpleasant thing that I just didn't want to spew forth all the negativity that I have over this. What I didn't tell you was all that had happened before the accident. I made my appointment three weeks in advance so the dealer would have a clear calender and could get my car in and out the same day, as I live about 40 miles from the dealer and my car is my daily drive and only means of transport.

Long story short they had my car for five days, and when I complained on the fourth day, I was told they would move my car to the front of the line and "inconvenience all the other Porsche owners" whose cars were there. We had a heated discussion over how I was inconveniencing anyone when I had made my appointment three weeks early, etc. Next day we call to see if the car is ready and they say it is ready but it had been in an accident. We called at three.....the accident happened at eleven. Not sure when they would have called to inform us if we hadn't called.

So we go up and they are unapologetic and act like I am being unreasonable. Their attitude was they didn't do anything wrong and it's all on me to take care of everything. So I had the car taken to a respected repair place in Springfield and eventually had to turn the whole thing over to my insurance company, who was very unhelpful.....not a good neighbor at all. But after about six weeks I got my car back. They did a good job and I don't think anyone can tell it was in an accident, but it was and the loss of value is mine. I've filed the necessary papers with the state to try and recover the monies I am out (insurance deductible, car rental, etc.) from the woman who hit me, but I don't really expect anything to come from that. Bottom line is I feel like I can never go back to the dealer so I have been looking for a good independent shop to take the car to now. I hope I have found one. We'll see.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

I filed a complaint with Porsche against the dealer and found them to not care at all, so that part was disappointing too. The whole thing has made me feel like I need to get rid of my beloved Boxster and get something else. I never thought I would say that, but that's where I'm at now.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.