Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 9th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #1
Magic Mtn Dan

Is Porsche screwing with their/your vehicle values?

I've talked about this before - perhaps you remember...Think about all that goes into a vehicle - how complex are the components (and the cost to develop and manufacture them) - what kind of engine & valvetrain, transmission, electronics, etc? Now, what is the weight of the vehicle - how much material (steel, glass, aluminum, plastic, rubber, etc.) goes into the vehicle? And now, what is the cost of the vehicle?

Well now that you're thinking about this consider the food for thought that Porsche is giving us - think about this...You could have a vehicle that has:

* A Porsche manufactured V-8 engine with 340HP!!!
* Sophisticated full-time four-wheel drive system ("Porsche Traction Management")
* An ultra-low reduction gear to aid low speed driving
* The ability to send up to 100 percent of traction to any single wheel if needed
* Porsche Stability Management System (originally seen on the Carrera 4S)
* Porsche Active Suspension Management
* Adjustable self-leveling hydraulic suspension (six different height settings from a low of 6.18 inches up to 10.75 inches)
* Six speed Tiptronic S transmission
(Just curious, how many of these things does a Boxster S have?)

Oh and you get 5 (five) doors, lots of glass and over 5,000 pounds of vehicle. The cost? - here's the killer - starting price is $55,900!!!

And so what's the vehicle? It's the new Porsche Cayenne of course. The above information pertains to the Cayenne S, not the turbo. Oh no, not the turbo - that vehicle has a 4.5 liter, 450HP, 460 lb.-ft. V-8 biturbo with intercooler, 4WD, etc. and goes to 60 in 5.6 seconds. It by the way has a base price of $88,900.

Just curious, how do you think that compares to the Boxster S? And how does it compare to the entire line of Porsche 911's (996s)? Compare engine, transmission, suspension technology, consider what you get with each vehicle, and think about the weight (cost per pound assuming the technology is equal or better) - heck, you may not want to think about price per pound of a vehicle (what is this a deli?!) but vehicle buyers pay for every pound that goes into a vehicle (and we pay for every pound that doesn't go it - lighter materials like aluminum cost even more).

What I get out of all this is that Porsche is screwing with vehicle value and it clearly illustrates how they've been the most profitable auto manufacturer (per vehicle) in the world.

Think of this - here's another example - imagine if you own a 996 twin turbo(in my opinion) - compared to the Cayenne Turbo, it has LESS of everything (except handling prowess) and you would pay about $120,000 for it. Porsche is selling a more sophisticated, more potent, more powerful, larger, heavier, larger engined vehicle (the Cayenne Turbo) for about, are you ready for this (???), $30,000 LESS (sticker price)!!!

Looks like for price sensitive Porsche wannabes, the Cayenne is the smartest way to make their jump into Porsche ownership. (And isn't that what Porsche has in mind? Selling lots of SUVs?). Based on the pricing, it looks like Porsche is expecting their sports car buyers to keep the high/huge profit margins on their cars coming in while Porsche has lower profit margins targeted for their more sophisticated, lower cost-per-pound Cayennes. Whatya think about them apples?

This is just another reason why I won't be shopping for a Porsche anytime in the foreseeable future. The VW Touareg is a much nicer vehicle inside and out than the Cayenne (in my opinion) and it's a LOT less money than the Cayenne.

Just some food for thought. Enjoy the snack (hope it doesn't give anyone indigestion)

Old November 9th, 2002, 09:12 AM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Just curious - what do you think about...

the idea of "cost per pound" of a vehicle?

(Someone pays for every pound that goes in - and doesn't go in - to the vehicle and that, in the end, is the buyer).
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Scott Fisher (Redwood Shores)

Dan, I will be the first to agree it is an awesome piece of machinery.....

but it got hit BIG time with the UGLY STICK!!! What I mean to say is that it is FUGLY!!!! Maybe they can rework the esthetic design on the next model to justify calling it a Porsche, but until then, I would'nt spend a dime on one. I would however like to take one out on the track
Of course this is only my opinion and personal taste Just my 2 cents
Robyn dont hate me
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:38 AM   #4
Magic Mtn Dan

Some things never change! (Can you explain this?)

I posted the same thing on that "other board." It's my first post over there in a zillion days and guess what - it just got deleted!

No surprise there. Some things never change (too bad).

I guess those guys with the stars on their shirts gotta do something.
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #5

Re: Some things never change! (Can you explain this?)

I guess you need to hang in those places where "you feel the love" BTW, are you planning on buying a Cayenne? Is anyone else here on the board?
Old November 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

Here's the answer - from none ofher than the (expletive deleted) deputy...

Subj: Re: [email protected]: OK, so why was my post deleted?
Date: 11/9/2002 10:33:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
To: [email protected], [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dream on.

On Saturday, Nov 9, 2002, at 12:31 US/Central, [email protected] wrote:

> Thanks for letting me back on. And no thanks for deleting my first
> post.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Dan
Old November 9th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Cool! I'm "banned" again...of course I don't think that...

I was actually ever "un-banned." I think they just screwed up and didn't have my IP address blocked. Guess my post today took care of that. I wonder if the geniuses over there have figured out a way to ban people permanently? They probably have a committee of deputies and techies working on that so they can keep the place pure.

I think this is where they park their planes...(photo unretouched)

Old November 9th, 2002, 01:45 PM   #8
Magic Mtn Dan

This pic reminds of me of someone I know...

down in the Lone Star state

Old November 9th, 2002, 03:26 PM   #9
RobynC

Hate you!? Peeshaw!

However, as much as I like the idea of an SUV with that kind of power, I have come to my senses....and I think for the money, I would rather have a kick a$$ C4S....or even a TT for the price. I have a perfectly good SUV...which tows the toys just fine.

So...sound good?

Robyn
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:23 PM   #10

Re: Hate you!? Peeshaw!

OK cool, when do we(you) get the C4S or TT and when can I(me) drive it

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman