Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #1
kevbro

'99 Boxster - Back window fiasco

I'm a first time user, and thank you for letting me post this new thread (if in fact it hasn't been dealt with many times if not many years earlier).

I have a '99 Boxster that has been just terrific, mechanically, except for the ragtop assembly unit.

Two days ago, when I was putting the roof down, I heard a relatively large sound, and then when I put the roof back up, the back plastic window had slightly torn at the top. (The tear is about 6 inches by 9 inches). I'm sure that this has happened to any number of Porsche owners before, and I'm just wondering what anyone might suggest might be the best/most cost effective solution.

I note that there is an "industrial-like" thread around the window attaching it to the rag top. Perhaps this window could just be ordered, and the mechanic might be able to install it accordingly.

Or, possibly another smaller piece might be available, that might be glued over the hole, and this might do the job, although I question the aesthetics.

Last year, a small pebble got lodged in the assembly for the roof, and I couldn't put the roof back up one time. The garage had to order a new assembly unit, and then installed it, which worked fine.

Compounding my little problem is that I live in Northern Canada, and the closest Porsche dealership is only about 700 kilometers away.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, and might give my mechanic a bit of a heads up on this little problem.

Thank you!
kevbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #2
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbro View Post
I'm a first time user, and thank you for letting me post this new thread (if in fact it hasn't been dealt with many times if not many years earlier).

I have a '99 Boxster that has been just terrific, mechanically, except for the ragtop assembly unit.

Two days ago, when I was putting the roof down, I heard a relatively large sound, and then when I put the roof back up, the back plastic window had slightly torn at the top. (The tear is about 6 inches by 9 inches). I'm sure that this has happened to any number of Porsche owners before, and I'm just wondering what anyone might suggest might be the best/most cost effective solution.

I note that there is an "industrial-like" thread around the window attaching it to the rag top. Perhaps this window could just be ordered, and the mechanic might be able to install it accordingly.

Or, possibly another smaller piece might be available, that might be glued over the hole, and this might do the job, although I question the aesthetics.

Last year, a small pebble got lodged in the assembly for the roof, and I couldn't put the roof back up one time. The garage had to order a new assembly unit, and then installed it, which worked fine.

Compounding my little problem is that I live in Northern Canada, and the closest Porsche dealership is only about 700 kilometers away.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, and might give my mechanic a bit of a heads up on this little problem.

Thank you!
Not too sure how helpful this might be but I also own a '99 with the plastic window and I've noticed different things unraveling on it when I put it away and put it back up. So far I've been able to repair most of the problems with a heavy duty carpet needle and thread but I've made up my mind that I'm going to eventually replace it with a glass window model of the newer design that has more padding. You can buy them off eBay for around $600 and if you're handy install it yourself.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
kevbro

Thanks so much for your response. It was certainly appreciated.

In viewing some of the other threads, and looking into it a bit further, it seems that the plastic back window certainly isn't a strong feature of the '99 Boxster. It seems that a hard window might be the way to go, if the plastic is subject to wear, etc.

Hope that your window keeps on holding up.

Thanks again!

kevbro
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

The window on my '99 cracked in 2004, I had a new one sewn in by an auto upholstery shop. Now I have developed a rip along the passenger side seam. It appears 5 years is the lifespan for windows that don't live in garages.

Many marine shops can do the repair, the hard part is removing and reinstalling the canvas top. As offshore mentioned, there are glass top replacements available, GAHH is a common one. There is a third option, find a wrecked 2003 car with a top in good shape and replace the entire top & frame. It actually looks like an easier job than just replacing the canvas and you get the glass window.
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
mikefocke

Some reading on those plastic windows

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/th...%26replacement

Because of where you are located, you might consider a hardtop or a glass window top to replace that plastic window. Plastic is great in hot weather because the heat keeps the plastic flexible. But in the cold, the plastic tends to crack and isn't the easiest to remove snow and ice from.

The link has links to web pages discussing the plastic window replacement as well as available tops.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
flintworks

One thing to consider with a glass window is that it significantly limits access to the engine compartment because it does not fold forward like the plastic window.
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #7
kevbro

My heartfelt thanks to the posters who suggested some fine ideas.

I've relayed these to my mechanic, and it seems that we'll be trying to get some window prices (both plastic and glass), and take it from there.

It's terrific to know that there is a site for such cars that is so functional, with some very decent posters (although my experience has been limited to hockey fan websites with a bar that is admittedly quite low).

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman