Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Andreas

Tool pants, It was great to meet you yesterday in

person. I thought I would hop over and visit your board. I hope you don't mind a turbo owner visiting once in a while??? I hope to join you guys on a run or two in the future if possible. And yes I will bring up the rear so to speak!!

More pictures here
Old May 5th, 2002, 05:42 PM   #2
jaime howell

Re: Tool pants, It was great to meet you yesterday in

boy, you sure got pretty wheels.....
Old May 5th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #3
Tool Pants

Real Porsches do not have power

assisted clutches.

I think our local Boxster group would get a kick of your leather covered child seat. How about a pic?

Chris and I have been talking about a ride to Corbin in Hollister. We can meet you there with a saw for the roof and I might then consider a turbo.

Jeff
Old May 5th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #4
Andreas

Hey you need to post the pictures of the seat you

took. Besides Kennedy wants to see them. Kennedy being my daughter.

As for the saw, If you can make it look as good as a boxster setup it is a GO!!!

Andreas

More pictures of the seat!!
Old May 5th, 2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Joe Yang (Castro Valley)

What's the story behind this booster seat?

Is it custom made? I am very interested to know the story behind this seat (if any) since I am a product designer by trade. I helped design Evenflo child safty/booster seats which currently on the market.
Old May 5th, 2002, 10:48 PM   #6
Andreas

This is the Porsche booster seat from / designed by

Britax who also does Mercedes and a few others. Unfortunatley in normal configuration it did not compliment the interior of my Porsche so I had the seat recovered in leather. Not to expensive and now looks great in the car. You know it is good when guys both young and old compliment you on your childs car seat!!!!

Don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out what it takes to get a guy to put a childs car seat in his car. Especially in the shotgun position. Gee I should be a designer. OH!! Was trying to figure out how to get the crest in the back of the headrest but settled for the way it is.

Andreas

More pictures click here!!!
Old May 5th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Joe Yang (Castro Valley)

This is the one that I helped design

Andreas, this is the Evenflo Apollo booster that I helped design. If you leather re-upholster this seat, the design will match your Porsche Sport seat perfectly...

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:06 AM   #8
Andreas

I like that one but does it have the deactivation attachement for

the front airbag?? I guess I could just use the one I already have and adapt it to any seat?? Also looks like it is quite a bit bulkier than the current one but does resemble the sport seat!! Would be neat to see it in leather maybe solid and preforated leather combo??

thanks

Andreas
Old May 6th, 2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Andreas

Hey how about you get me the seat and I will

pay to have it done in leather and we can see???
Old May 6th, 2002, 05:59 AM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

Speaking of Child Seats - new federal rule called LATCH

NHTSA: We’re Staying Alive by Bengt Halvorson (4/29/2002)

For any parent who has struggled to install a child seat correctly, help is on the way.

Beginning Sept. 1, 2002, a new federal rule will require all new vehicles and car seats to feature a simple child seat attachment system. The new system – called LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) – calls for all vehicles introduced after Sept. 1 to have rigid metal anchors in the back seat, and all car seats manufactured after Sept. 1 to have attachments that snap into the car’s anchors.

Today’s car seats are attached with regular seat belts, and when parents don’t fasten them properly, there is too much slack and the seat can move around. When properly installed, child seats reduce the risk of death or serious injury to infants by 71 percent and reduce by 50 percent the risk to children ages 1 through 4. The trouble is, 90 percent of all child seats are installed incorrectly, seriously reducing their effectiveness.

The LATCH system aims to remedy all this by eliminating the need for seat belts. The new seats are snapped into place, making installation almost foolproof.

Lagging seats

Automakers have been equipping vehicles with anchors for the last three model years, but car-seat makers have lagged behind, saying they waited to make sure the government requirements didn’t change. Currently there are only two LATCH seats on the market: the Britax Expressway (about $180) and the Safety 1st Forerunner (about $70). All that will change in September, when car-seat makers begin manufacturing LATCH seats. The new seats are expected to cost $10 to $30 more than current models. These seats also have belt paths so you can use them with older vehicles that don’t have lower anchors.

Even though the new seats may seem a better idea, don’t throw out your old car seat just yet. You can still use current-generation seats — they just won’t be manufactured anymore. If you do use an old-style seat, follow the instructions in the vehicle and car seat owner’s manuals to ensure you install it correctly. Better yet, pay a visit to a child safety seat fitting station. To locate one near you, call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at (800) 424-9393 or visit www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

If you have a current car seat and want to use your new car’s metal anchors, you can buy retrofit kits with straps to attach the old seats. These kits cost about $25 and can be found at specialty stores like Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us. They’re available for seats made by most manufacturers, including Century, Evenflow, Cosco and Graco. Booster seats, which help raise children (over 40 pounds and 4 years old) high enough to properly fit safety belts, aren’t affected by the new rules.

Retrofitting

Most automakers can’t retrofit older vehicles with lower anchors. Two exceptions are Volkswagen and Audi: VW offers dealer-installed anchors on ’99 and newer Passats and Audi will retrofit anchors on all ’99 and newer Audi models, free of charge.

In most vehicles, the anchors are installed on the left and right sides in the back seat. Some child safety advocates question why NHTSA didn’t require anchors in the center position, universally regarded as the safest place for children to ride. NHTSA claims it required two sets of anchors rather than one in the center or three across because one wouldn’t be enough for families with more than one child, and three raised safety concerns of too much hardware in the seat. In addition, many center rear seats are humped or otherwise incompatible with child seats.

“Parents shouldn’t place a child seat in the center and use the outboard anchors to attach it unless both the automaker and car-seat maker say it’s safe to do so,” says Deborah Stewart, editor of Safe Ride News (www.saferidenews.com). She notes that some vehicles do feature center anchors, including the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, PT Cruiser, Chrysler Town & Country, and Dodge Caravan.

To aid the transition to the LATCH system, NHTSA will launch a public-education campaign in September, the details of which were not available at press time.

For more information on child passenger safety and the LATCH child seat system, visit the following Web sites: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and SafetBeltSafe at www.carseat.org.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman