Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
ChicagoPorscheLuver

Remote Keyless Entry Stopped Working

My remote keyless entry suddenly stopped working, I switched to my spare and within a few hours that also stopped working. I thought the batteries were dead, so i replace both and still they don't work. The red light on the key does flash, but the car doesn't respond.

I've heard they they can loose their codes, does anyone know how to "reprogram" the key?

I hate to take it to a dealer, they will probably tell me I need a new engine, 4 tires and right front fender and charge a billion dollars.......

ANy help would be appreciated.
ChicagoPorscheLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Paralizer

If your car is still under warranty, it is a warranty repair. Otherwise you are kind of screwed. Porsche is the only ones that can reset the key codes. Sorry for the bad news.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
BrnEyzR1

Both of my keys barely worked too, I replaced the batteries ...now they work but you have to be RIGHT beside the car.... I didn't know you had to re-program them....thanks for the info!!
BrnEyzR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #4
MACadct

Both my keyless remote keys "failed" on me about four months ago. I replaced the batteries on both but that didn't work. I finally took them to the Porsche Dealer and they told me that the remotes do eventually fail after 3 - 4 years and need to be replaced. Since I really had no choice, I replaced both my keyless remotes w/new ones. It cost me $325.00 for EACH remote but that includes the reprogamming of the codes.
MACadct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACadct
they told me that the remotes do eventually fail after 3 - 4 years and need to be replaced.
hey tom, does this sound right to you? i've never heard this before. i know there are reports of the 986 remote not having much distance, but never heard of failure.....
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter
hey tom, does this sound right to you? i've never heard this before. i know there are reports of the 986 remote not having much distance, but never heard of failure.....
No, it sounds more like the dealer was looking to make an easy buck. My remotes are 7 years old and had the batteries changed once. Both still work just fine, thank you.

Believe me, if the remotes were failing after 3 or 4 years we'd see a lot more posts about this.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman