Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 25th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #1
RobynC

Car Stereo Upgrade Done at Last!

Alrighty ... all done with the car stereo upgrade. And man is it AWESOME. I thought I would post here on the board and let everyone know what I did, and who did it.

I interviewed several places and went through Monney Car Audio. ( www.monney.com - thanks Ben!) I dealt with Leo Monney, the owner. I found him very easy to work with, and yet another positive experience of work done on my car.

They were very detailed and comprehensive and the sound is massive, clear, crisp and clean. It plays anything from Mozart to Metallica and plays it as it was built/geared just for that type of music.

It is incredibly loud (I'm not kidding...I had a lady who sits across from me in a cubicle tell me she liked my stereo. I asked her when she had heard it...because the day before I had been showing a few of the guys how great it was. She told me she heard it then...from the fifth floor of my building!!), And that's with the top up. With the top down...spectacular!!!

Here is what was put in the car:

Eclipse CD 5441 Head Unit
A/D/S Speaker System - Two sets of these which inclued eight speakers total. (Dash and rears)
Alpine MRD - F752 Amp - Five channel 100 wts per channel - LOUD!!
A/D/S Crossovers
Illusion Sub (8') and this VERY cool enclosure/speaker box that fits within the passenger leg area on the right. I didn't loose any leg space with regard to length, only a bit (About four inches.) on the right.
I retained the door speaker, which the shop claimed to be decent.

So I have a total of 11 speakers in the Boxster.

The sounds is great, the price was reasonable and it was all worth it.

The link below takes you out to some pics of the system.

Thanks,
Robyn

ps I will also add Monney to the rec list....they were awesome.

Stereo Upgrade Photos
Old January 25th, 2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Tom Dee in San Jose

Very cool!! Is the sub covered by anything?

Where is this place located? How long was the install?
Old January 25th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #3
RobynC

Oh yes...he was out of the day I took her ...

...home. It now as the cover on it. Looks sweet!
Old January 25th, 2002, 10:25 PM   #4
RobynC

Sorry, didn't answer all your questions...

They are located in several Penninsula locations. However, to deal with the owner, he works out of the Redwood City location.

I dropped the car off on Wednesday at noon and she was ready the next day at noon. So essentially one day. I believe he could accommodate in and out same day if you got it there early enough.

Oh, and he rented me a car, at his expense. He even offered me a ride in his cobra. Very cool experience.

Robyn
Old January 25th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Tom Dee in San Jose

Thanks! Going there tomorrow! *NM*

Old January 25th, 2002, 10:46 PM   #6
RobynC

Tell him I sent you over.

And I don't get a kick back for that...just 'cause.

Enjoy the experience and let us know how it goes?

Robyn
Old January 26th, 2002, 11:58 PM   #7
macsak

is the sub enclosure custom or off the shelf?

mahalo (thanks) for the pics

aloha

steve
Old January 27th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #8
RobynC

Custom made in his shop...

It is custom...but he told me he sends them out to different areas of the country on request. It is made especially for Porsche. I dont know if he deals dealer direct or otherwise. However, I got to watch the process of the enclosure being made in his shop. Very cool. If you are interested, I'd give him a call. You can find the contact number on the website.

Mahalo,
Robyn
Old January 27th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #9
Magic Mtn Dan

Great report Robyn & it's very encouraging to see...

alternatives to the "foot massager" subwoofer location. We all knew that, given time, there would be numerous other aftermarket sound options available to Boxster owners. Here's one that looks great and, according to Robyn, sounds great and it was done at a very reasonable price (another great benefit). Far less than the $4,000+ prices we've seen from the other shop(s) and you don't have to go all the way to France to get a great sound system!

Old January 27th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #10
Jay in SF

eclipse head unit opinions?

im a pioneer/alpine man myself but keep seeing the eclipse head unit pop up in a lot of threads.

do you like the features, ease of use and layout?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman