Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
rcreus

Warming up the Porsche Boxter?

Hi,

I'm a new owner of 2000 Porsche boxter and while reading the manual, I found something interesting. The manual says that we don't have to warm up the car. It says that once we start the engine, we have to use the car immediately as long as we don't go pass 4200RPM.

All my life, I owned japanese cars and we always have to warm up the engine.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks
rcreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Dr. Zoom

I simply take it easy and try to keep it around 3K rpm until the indicated temp gets close to normal. At that point I still try to keep it under 4200 rpm for a bit until everything comes fully up to operating temperatures.

The goal, as I understand it, is to get things up to temperature as quickly as possible. This can best be done by actually driving the vehicle so the engine has a load on it as opposed to just letting it idle. The real reason for doing this may have more to do with the emissions system than the engine.
Dr. Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Westcoaster

My other car is a RX-7, their achillies heal is not warming them up, failure to head this warning can result in a broken apex seal and engine damage.

Good to know that the Boxster can driven right away (albeit carefully), makes the getway to the gym in the morning quiter for the neighbours!
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #4
oldskuracer

Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
My other car is a RX-7, their achillies heal is not warming them up, failure to head this warning can result in a broken apex seal and engine damage.

Good to know that the Boxster can driven right away (albeit carefully), makes the getway to the gym in the morning quiter for the neighbours!
That's great... I always seem to leave the car on for a minute before I drive it, take it easy, then go out for some fun (even if it's for a few blocks sometimes). I guess in a way one minute can be considered a warm up and if you look at it another way, it can be seen as "instant"... like instant noodles... (What was my point? Was I just babbling?)

Anyways, I know this is for Boxsters, but Westcoaster, how do you like the RX7? Is it the 93-95 model? I'm thinking of possibly adding one of those to my collect of toys.
oldskuracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #5
arenared

The only thing I've ever warmed up were old carburated cars so they wouldn't stall. I'd say I keep mine under 5K "generally" until the engine is at least producing warm-air kind of warmed up. There have been some interesting threads that argue that just letting it sit there and idle doesn't warm up the rest of the car such as the transmission, tires, brakes, etc., so it's equally bad. After a few seconds, I'm on my way, but keeping it reasonably mellow.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskuracer
That's great... I always seem to leave the car on for a minute before I drive it, take it easy, then go out for some fun (even if it's for a few blocks sometimes). I guess in a way one minute can be considered a warm up and if you look at it another way, it can be seen as "instant"... like instant noodles... (What was my point? Was I just babbling?)

Anyways, I know this is for Boxsters, but Westcoaster, how do you like the RX7? Is it the 93-95 model? I'm thinking of possibly adding one of those to my collect of toys.
Actually my RX-7 is a 1991, the last year before the generation 3 model was released. I love the car, in a lot of ways it is easier to drive then the Boxster, but since it is not a convertible or a turbo version it lacks a certain amount power and the sunroof is not quite the same as a soft top!

Here is mine: http://www3.telus.net/Rotorhead/index.html

The 93-95 cars are very nice, great style and function with a very willing engine system. I feel their weak point is a very complex system for sequencing the twin turbo's, approximatly 75 vacuum lines, and if any come off or crack due to age you will have drivability issues (not hard to fix but it takes knowledge and patience to sort it out).

My advice would be to go for the latest model (1995) and look for one that has not been 'played with', they are out there but tougher to find. If I remember correctly there were only 500 brought in to North America for 1995, and less then 14,000 total for all three years.
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Nice RX-7. I always thought they should call it the Mazda 944.
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Nice RX-7. I always thought they should call it the Mazda 944.
Thanks Bob, yes I think that they 'borrowed' a bit of design there somewhere!

I still like the lines of that car a lot, it was too bad that Mazda had problems selling the 3rd generation RX-7 in North America, it was a sweet design as well, but I think that back in '93 when they hit the street at $40k+ it was a lot to pay for a 2-seater.

Also interesting that Mazda has not re-introduced a RX-7, the RX-8 is not quite the same with 4 doors and 4 seats...
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #9
KNTJAFO

Smile warm up

Warm up only takes as long as it takes for the top to go down! In my seventh month with the Boxster and am sorry it took so long to get one.
kntjafo
29Palms, CA
KNTJAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Mdreiver

They are advising you of 2 things.

1) not to let it idle until it's warmed up
2) not to drive it hard until it's warmed up

The best way to warm it up is to drive it around with low throttle and low rpms. That is preferable to just idling.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman