Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Westcoaster

Question Future ramblings... hardtops for the Boxster

Waaaaay back Ford had one, Mercedes has them, so does Volvo and now the Mazda MX5...

Is there any chance that Porsche will replace the soft top on the Boxster with a segmented folding hard top? Seems to be a popular way to go?
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

No! IMNSHO the added weight and virtually permanent loss of the rear trunk would be a killer.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
No! IMNSHO the added weight and virtually permanent loss of the rear trunk would be a killer.
Hey Tom, I understand the concerns about weight, but made from aluminum and folding down in segments should allow this to fit in pretty much the same space as is currently allocated to the canvas softtop.

Otherwise I would have to agree that it would not be a good idea. The recent add for the Mazda MX5 mentioned that it did not take any additional trunk space (but that was a marketing brochure! ).

I was just thinking about this when I replied to the recent post from other's (as well as myself) asking about wear on the softtops...
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

The Mazda MX-5 top is a pretty cool contraption. Maintains the trunk space, but I'm not sure about the weight penalty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXx7mVqC2nc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXx7mVqC2nc[/ame]
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Terry

Weight Penalty

For 2007, the folding hardtop is an option, adding ~75 pounds to the car. Note, that is 75 pounds at a high center of gravity!
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Very cool design but no good for a mid-engine car. Look how deep it goes behind the seats - right where our engine is.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Westcoaster

Yeah, you guy's are probably right, I guess that I'll keep hunting for a deal on a used hardtop for the winter...

Convincing video though!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman