Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Ronnie Kon

Airbag cutoff in Boxster

I have an '03 on order and need to be able to carry children in the passenger seat. Is the only way to do this to get the "Porsche Zoom with Deactivation" child seat? From the photo, it looks like the deactivation is a bolt-in replacement for the existing seatbelt with an RJ cable? How does this work?

And is there any way of getting the airbag cut-off for less than $350?

Is there a "Used Overpriced Porsche Accessories" market somewhere, or do I just check these boards and E-bay?

Thanks.

/Ronnie

Old February 22nd, 2003, 05:18 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Airbag cutoff in Boxster

You need the deactivation bar along with the buckle that attaches to the the seat. When the dealer installs the deactivation bar they'll tell the computer it's been installed using the PST2. The installation fee is included in the purchase price of the seat so there's no charge at the dealership for the install.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:02 PM   #3
Tool Pants

Link to some accurate info on Rennlist *NM*

http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ul...c;f=5;t=003048
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:07 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Is that to imply that my info was not accurate?

If that's the case then please point out what was wrong with it.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:48 PM   #5
Steve B

Seems accurate to me.. as follow up

If you just buy the bar assembly, can you then use it with an existing child seat?

I would assume when the bar is removed, the air bag works in the normal manner. Is this correct?
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM   #6
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

After the bar is installed and activated using the PST2

it is enabled/disabled by inserting the special buckle into the latch assembly. These buckles are only on the Porsche child seats. With the buckle inserted the airbags on the passenger side are disabled. With the buckle removed the passenger side airbags work normally. Since the system works by providing different sets of resistance I would guess that removal of the bar w/o turning it off with the PST2 would cause a fault code to appear in the system.

If you have the deactivation bar installed and also have the special buckle from a previous Porsche seat then any car seat could be used. In my case I only use the buckle as my grandson is now big enough he no longer needs the child seat or booster for the seatbelt to fit properly.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:03 PM   #7
Tool Pants

Re: Is that to imply that my info was not accurate?

Your info is accurate and on Rennlist as well. The new part number, prices, and other info is listed correctly on Rennlist.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 07:30 PM   #8
Steve B

Thanks Tom..I always appreciate the quality of your responses *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman