Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old May 24th, 2001, 02:31 PM   #1
Tom Dee

Catalog Guy....read the Boxster Racing board

message entitled "Klunk". You may be affected. I have the symptom also.
Old May 24th, 2001, 03:53 PM   #2
Catalog Guy

Yikes!

I need to check for scrape marks, but I have no idea where to look. Sounds confusing... "look under the cab cover"? I have definitely heard the klunk several times in the front right when taking very hard left turns. I assumed it was the partially torn off wind deflector (which is now completely gone). How did you determine that your car is affected? Is there a visible mark? Where did you find the piece to inspect?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old May 24th, 2001, 04:17 PM   #3
scott in redwood city

Yup! Similar problem...

...on my 98 with H+Rs. A buddie just installed the H+Rs on his TwinTuro and has the same issue. Right rear on hard/sudden compression. I just checked mine and don't see any contact above the threads.
Old May 24th, 2001, 04:59 PM   #4
Tom Dee

Re: I'll check for any visual clues tonight

but the thump is very distinct. Glen mentioned that 996 parts are stronger, but if Scott's friend is having a progme with a TT then I don't know what to do. Maybe a custom fabrication of some sort.
Old May 24th, 2001, 07:32 PM   #5
Tom Dee

Re: If this is what I should be looking at

then I don't see an issue. There's nothing here showing any contact previously.

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:33 PM   #6
Tom Dee

Re: If this is what I should be looking at *NM*

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:46 AM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

I don't get it...

if this is a real concern, then one (well, me) would think that companies that make products like Coilovers and Springs would:

A. Be aware of such problems
B. Address them publicly
C. Offer a solution to existing owners & buyers

And perhaps Porsche would warn owners about this?
Old May 25th, 2001, 07:11 AM   #8
scott in redwood city

Re: I don't get it...

My personal experience has show me that most auto manufactures will not stand by any problems due to mods made to a car. Example - Audi A4s with its sub frames actuall cracking due to aftermarket rear sway bars - they did help out a few local people, but for the most part its so sorry. I don't think Porsche would give a rats !!!! given the posts I have read over the last 3 1/2 years. I too get the clunk from time to time and will watch for stress issues on the upper bushingings. The way most of us drive our cars (including track events) I serioulsy doubt there be any real problems... Dan is there a urathane busing ava for our cars. Jeez they even make them for VWs.
my 2 cents - good morning all

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing