Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1
WsRide

battery drain

This isn't a question so much as a post of my recent misadventures with a battery drain.

Back in the spring I noticed my battery was discharging for no reason. Checked thru all the usually culprits (open door/trunk, key left in ignition) none of them applied. Car would be driven and parking for 2-3 days and battery would be completely discharged. Initially I thought it was the battery, so I installed a new battery and things were fine for about 2-3 weeks… then started having same problem, car would be dead after parking for 2 days or so.

Finally brought it in to my independent mechanic, who is excellent btw, to try and source the drain. After a few days at the shop, Travis noticed the ignition assembly sometimes would not "clank" when you removed the key. Even though the key was removed, the car was still "on" from an electronics perspective, thereby causing a substantial battery drain. I've mostly driven/worked on Japanese cars, and have never come across such a scenario in regards to a faulty ignition assembly.

Whatever the case, battery drains can be highly frustrating so I wanted to share my story to hopefully help someone else down the road. I didn’t get a ton of driving in this summer for fear I'd be stranded at my destination.

FYI, I'm in Denver and very happy with my independent shop mechanic, Travis. He's worked on my other vehicles, bmw and toyota, and his rates are way below what a comparable dealer or specialty shop would charge. If youre in the market for a mechanic, PM me and I'll send you his info.

Winton
WsRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
auuurrrgh

A lot of Boxsters have problems with their ignition switch. Porsche doesn't even make the part any more. I replaced mine with a part from autozone and haven't had any problems with it since.

Pedro has a tutorial HERE. You can do it yourself, but it is a tight squeeze.
auuurrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Tags
battery, dead, drain