Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 6th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #1
FA1

Battery failure

Yesterday i checked on my car that has been stored since November, and the battery was dead. I had a charger hooked up to it, but i am thinking it didn't work, and the battery drained over the past four months. I should have known something was up since the charger was about 3 years old, and it was showing as charging ever since i hooked it up, but alas you live and you learn. It was one of the chargers that is supposed to turn itself on and off, etc.

Anyway, my car is a '98, and this is the original battery in it. I am planning to get the battery tested today to see if it will still hold a charge, but i am also contemplating buying a new battery altogether, since this one is four years old already.

I have 2 questions:
1) Should i buy a new battery and forget about the current one i have?
2) What is a great brand of charger that i can hook it up to. One that i am sure is charging when it says it is charging?

Thanks everyone for your help.
By the way, I stored the car with the trunks open so i didn't have any issues with getting to the battery!
Old March 6th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Get yourself a new battery if...

you've had the battery checked out and it has 1+ bad cells. Don't waste time hoping it will work if it's gone bad.

It could have been the charger which could have continued (over)charging the battery. Make sure you get a good trickle charger for next winter's storage.

Good luck!
Old March 6th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #3
Tool Pants

I just replaced my 5-year old battery

about 6 weeks ago on my 1/97. It had been giving me problems the past year, saw my charger several times, but finally I had a dead cell. The battery is made by Moll, and it is just a standard group size 48 battery that is used on Porsches and other euro cars. Once a battery gives you problems it is time to replace it.

I bought a replacement battery with the Deka brand from AutoZone for $60. Although it is maintenance free, you can still pull off the caps to check the acid or to add water. It also has a vent tube like the oem battery.

I do not know what kind of charger you have, other than it is an "automatic" type that turns itself on and off as needed. I have 3 battery chargers, for cars and my motorcycles. Since I drive my Boxster every day here in sunny San Jose my 1 amp Schumacher charger is for the little motorcycle batteries. My 2/10/55 amp Century automatic charger is for car batteries.

Jeff

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/main.html

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman