Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Tom M
Site Founder

Finally had to replace my battery.

I haven't been driving the car much in the last year and the original battery had gotten to where it would reluctantly start the car. I put a 3 hour charge on it last week with little difference in performance. So rather than wait until things died completely and forced me to figure out how to open the trunk with a dead battery I opted for the proactive approach.

I removed the existing Porsche battery and headed down to the local Autozone to pick up a 48-DL as a replacement. The first comment by the parts guy was "You sure that's the right battery? It's smaller than what you brought in." Yup. I'd done my research (not to mention the Autozone web site said it was the right one.) so I was sure it was right. $64.95 + tax later I was headed out the door and back home.

I took a couple of minutes to clean out the debris from the battery tray and it slipped right in. The battery is shorter than the original but fits nicely. All that's required is to move the hold down to the next hole. After installing the battery I hooked up the supplied vent tube and adapter and hooked that combination up to the existing vent tube. After attaching the cables the car fired right up.

At this point all that was left to do was to dig out the card with the radio code on it and set the clock (I knew I forgot something ) Oh well. If the weather hold out I'll set the clock when I go for a drive tomorrow.

As a side note, my original battery lasted 58 months.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #2
cyclocross

Hi, Tom. What a coincidence. The original battery in my '01 died last night. First in the garage then in the Safeway parking lot. AAA was quick to respond both times. $65 from Autozone is a good price. AAA and the local NAPA wanted $100. However, NAPA is only 5 miles away while Autozone/Kragen, etc. are 20 miles away. Oh well. The replacement battery also is a 48, same dimensions as the Porsche original. I guess the "S" has a larger (~3") and greater Ah battery than the standard Boxster. BTW, the 48 is the same replacement for the battery in my '98 Passat wagon.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Viktor

It must be contagious. I just replaced my battery too. The car suddenly went from strong starting to a just a clicking starter solenoid. Not wanting to take a chance and have in fail some where far from home and then have to deal with the hood latch, I too was proactive.

I took the advice of Kevin C. (Saratoga, Ca) and bought the Group 47 battery at Costco for less than $50. There is not Autozone close by. It is about an inch less in length. The stock bracket fits perfectly if you move it over one hole. It came with the vent line adapter that mated to the carís vent tube. The replacement went smoothly.

I was lucky, the original battery lasted 71 months.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #4
mttfnn

Replaced battery - now the window auto up/down feature is jacked

Thanks - I just replaced the battery and it was super easy - think I saved a bunch of money also. My dealer charges $500 if you sneeze in there (actually it's only $20 per sneeze as long as it's directed away from the showroom).

I ended up getting the other battery Autozone reccomends, the 94R-DLG, it was $119 and looks exactly like the original Porsche battery, even the exhaust tube fit perfectly.

Now my issue: On the first start up, the auto up/down feature would not work on the windows. I could press and hold and they would go up and down, and they are auto when the top goes up/down but not otherwise. On the second start up, the right window started working right again, but not the drivers side. Will this correct itself, or must I go the dealer and ask for a diagnostic and reboot of the CPUs and such?

Any ideas? I know it's a small thing, but the German in me insists everything work perfectly, for Pete's sake.

Thanks
mttfnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #5
boxs2000

Not to scare you guys I hope it was just me, but 6 months after my battery died, my alternator(voltage regulator) went out. My car was a little over 5 years old and about 37,000 miles on it. On a positive note, dealer wanted between 900-1500 for the job with the alternator about 4-600 bucks. Internet had it for about 2-300 bucks. I was able to do it for less than 75 bucks for the part. Porsche does not show a separate voltage regulator part number. I found a tread on renntech where you could use a MBZ/BMW/Audi voltage regulator and it worked!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Dave G

Battery and Windows

Replaced my battery a few weeks ago, had been getting weaker and weaker... eventually would not hold a charge at all. One day click, click click. A friend owns a battery store "Batteries Plus" and did not have the recommended size in stock. He did have a size 49, which is slightly larger than stock and fills the battery tray. There are 3 holes in the battery tray for the hold down. 2 of them have welded nuts under the tray and the third hole, the one near the edge of the tray has no welded nut. I simply slid a nut under the tray and tightened it, holding the nut with an open end wrench. You can just barely get the wrench under the edge of the tray. Anyway, works fine with 875 cold crank amps. The model number is 49L1. As for the window issue I had the exact same problem. It must be some computer learning thng or??? After a day or so of driving mine started working again just fine. weird. Good luck.

Dave
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfnn View Post
Now my issue: On the first start up, the auto up/down feature would not work on the windows. I could press and hold and they would go up and down, and they are auto when the top goes up/down but not otherwise. On the second start up, the right window started working right again, but not the drivers side. Will this correct itself, or must I go the dealer and ask for a diagnostic and reboot of the CPUs and such?
I'm pretty sure you just need to run them through a full cycle of up & down several times in a row so things can relearn where the limits are.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Crashcup

This may have already been answered, but the dealer said to program the windows after installing a new battery you have to run them all the way up, continue to hold for a few seconds, then all the way down, continue to hold for a few seconds. Do that a few times and you newly electrified windows will be retrained.

Bill
Crashcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Tom M
Site Founder

I actually took care of that almost 3 years ago when I replaced the battery. However it's an easy thing to overlook and certainly bears mentioning so others won't run into a similar situation.
'11 958 Cayenne S

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman