Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM   #1
dsulu

Question Defective Battery?

I almost turn this into a follow up to a thread I posted on 9-6-06 regarding "Parasitic drain test", but I figure this problem warrants a new thread if guys can bear w/ me

After I determined that the horn was the culprit for the continuous drain of battery charge ( this problem lasted about 1 year) I unpluged the fuse, and went to Vegas w/ no draining or starting problem what so ever on 9-15

I just work on the horn actuator on the steering wheel this weekend after reading several threads/instructors from this site and RennTech.org. By the way, great instructions and pic. I now realized that both of the horns are bad and the horn actuator is no longer engaged constantly.

So, here is a newly developed problem (w/o boring you guys to death), I am having problem starting engine again. However; the following is what I found out in the past several hours.

-After jump starting the car. while in idle, the battery was being read at 13.6~14.6 v (which means that alternator is charging)
-After I came home, I immediately checked the battery again, this time 12.6 w/o engine running.
-1 hr later, again I measured the voltage, it was at 12.4, then I got in the car and tried to start it. The engine tried to turn over but failed. I then checked the voltage again, this time 11.5 v.
-I just rememberd that I had a little problem a week ago, when I stalled on a street trying to go from a stop. Then I couldn't start the engine anymore. I had to wait for a while and it started. Luckily, no one was around.

Here are my questions

1. Could trying to start engine cause voltage to drop from 12.4 to just 11.5?
2. I used to 2 voltimeter to read the battery, both yielded the same result, could it be the battery that is giving a false reading.
3. After one year of continous charging and complete discharging, can battery just crap out like that?

Any help or comment is greatly appreciated!!!!
dsulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsulu
Here are my questions

1. Could trying to start engine cause voltage to drop from 12.4 to just 11.5?
2. I used to 2 voltimeter to read the battery, both yielded the same result, could it be the battery that is giving a false reading.
3. After one year of continous charging and complete discharging, can battery just crap out like that?

Any help or comment is greatly appreciated!!!!
The battery voltage will drop when trying to start the car as that's when the most amperage is needed.

How old is the battery? If it's 4 or more years then it's probably due to be replaced due to the circumstances it has had to endure.

Unlike marine batteries, standard batteries are not up to the task of being fully discharged and then charged up again on an ongoing basis. If the battery was being fully drained repeatedly then the life expectancy will be considerably shortened.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
dsulu

my battery is about a year old, auto zone production "duralast".

I guess I would take it to an AutoZone and have it checked out.

thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:38 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

That's a good idea! Since it still has a warranty on it you could probably get it replaced right on the spot. Though I probably wouldn't mention the repeated discharge cycles
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
dsulu

Yes, It is still under warranty and a big "YES", the battery is defective.

Thanks for your help, Tom!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman