Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 8th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Catalog Guy

Can I charge the battery while it's connected?

After hardly being driven for a couple months the car did not cooperate in starting yesterday. I was able to jump start it, but today it starts very weakly and I do not have time to go drive it to recharge it naturally. I have a battery charger here and I could connect it, but I am worried that upon reconnection I will need codes for the radio and PCM that I may not locate easily. I am tempted to just attach the charger to the battery in the car, but I am not sure of that could be damaging to any systems or components?

I do not understand the need for the trunk wire inside the fender well. I know there must be something to it because many people prepare it and sometimes people have problems. However, I opened the door with the key in the lock and I pulled the trunk latch which mechanically unlocked the trunk. I did not find any need for electric power.
Old November 8th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Ed in Belmont

Re: Can I charge the battery while it's connected?

Theoretically you could charge the battery without disconnecting it as the charger only puts out 5-10 amps. Practically I would not do it. Find the codes. Personally I would not even charge it while it was in the car.

The battery should not be weak after only sitting for a few months. It appears that your battery is getting old/weak. A weak battery will manifest itself as the weather is getting colder.

In pre-2000 boxsters the trunk releases were mechanical except that there was an electrically powered locking mechanism on the trunk handles. You probably had enough power to release the lock on the handles.

FYI. If you cannot unlock the truck because the lever will not operate because the battery is completely dead, it is possible to release the levers with a small screwdriver if you do not have the trunk wire in the fender well. You insert the screwdriver in the gap between the two levers and then you can physically push the locking tab out of the way.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman