Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 27th, 2001, 12:50 AM   #1
Magic Mtn Dan

Check Engine Light & Disconnecting the Battery...

I was told today that if you want to turn off your check engine light you can disconnect your battery for about 10 minutes. Reportedly the capacitors that store power when the battery is disconnected will drain completely in 10 minutes which will effectively cancel the CE Light.

I was also told that Porsches with E-Gas have settings that should be reset when the battery is disconnected. I can tell you I find a lot of this information confusing - dang computers really demand knowing a lot more about the car than back in the days when "sophisticated cars" had electronic fuel injection.

Anyone know more specific details about all that really happens when you disconnect the battery for a while?
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:13 AM   #2
Tool Pants

Re: Check Engine Light & Disconnecting the Battery...

Per the October 2000 Excellence article.

After disconnecting the battery, the idle speed might change or fluctuate until the idel speed positioner (M 5.2) or the throttle adjusting unit (ME 7.2) is readapted. The mixture adapation is also lost. After the battery is reconnected with the DME M 5.2, the learning and adaptation routine must be performed.

First switch the ignition on for one minute without starting the engine. Do not actuate accelerator pedal. Next, switch the ignition off for at least 10 seconds. This completes the adaptation of the throttle adjusting unit. With all DME systems, the engine must run for several minutes before the engine control module can relearn the idel speed and the mixture adaptation values.

You also have to do something with a tip after the battery has been disconnected.

This is also mentioned in my 2000 tech manual.

Jeff
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:35 AM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

That's exactly what I heard today at a dealership but...

I couldn't remember this procedure.

Anyone out there ever do this after re-connecting their battery? Me neither!
Old June 27th, 2001, 09:14 AM   #4
Bruce (01/SLG/Bk/Bk)

Light

I had engine light come ON after battery reconnect (???)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1
Old June 27th, 2001, 09:55 AM   #5
Catalog Guy

The same can be accomplished

by unplugging all 5 cables feeding the ECU and allowing it to remain unplugged for a while (I was told 30 minutes, but maybe 10 would do it).

This way you do not neet to reprogram your radio(s).

Andrew
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:47 AM   #6
DCT (LB/NBL/BK '01 S)

OBC stalk related???

My battery was disconnected for way more than 10 minutes when I put the stalk for the OBC in. Should I disconnect the battery again and go thru this procedure? Is this the whole procedure? (big grin)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

darin
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:17 PM   #7
HP in SF

I unplugged my battery but radio settings remained. *NM*

Old June 27th, 2001, 02:45 PM   #8
Jamey@ParisAudio

Re: Check Engine Light & Disconnecting the Battery...

Dis-connecting the battery or removing the ECU will reset the computer and drop the check engine light and all of the fault codes stored in the computer. It's always safer to have the codes read by the dealer first unless your 100% sure you know what the problem is.

J

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman