Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Snaxster

My Boxster's winter tires and wheels are here

Feeling almost ready for winter, with my Boxster's hardtop and rubber floor mats installed, and Collonite wax applied, I realized that none of it would matter if I couldn't control the car well in low temperatures, especially with snow on the road.

So I ordered a winter tire and wheel set from a big online retailer. It was a turnkey package, mounted and balanced, with valves and TPMS sensors installed. The tires are by Continental. The wheels are cast, made in Italy. I own center caps.

The set arrived after only a few days (backordered items turned out to be in stock at one warehouse.) And shipping was actually a bit lower than the estimate, so the set was $2364 out the door. Here is the order:

Also, because I bought four tires at once, Continental will send me a free GPS unit in 8-12 weeks. In time for it to be a late Christmas present for a friend if I'm lucky!

I chose 17" wheels for increased rim protection and a softer ride. Here is a stock photo of the Sport Edition Cup 1 wheels:

The tires are packed so well, I am reluctant to unwrap them until it's time to swap them onto the car. So I haven't yet seen the wheels. But here is the tread, which considering that they aren't true snow tires looks pretty deep to me (though the rubber compound is probably the most important factor):

When I finally do swap these winter tires and wheels onto my Boxster, I will report and post photos. That will happen either when I relocate to the Northeastern U.S. this fall or winter, if I do, or if I stay in California for now and we get a stretch of low temperatures during the rainy season.

Best,

Snaxster
Snaxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #2
baxter

i have been meaning to ask for a long time.............when i got my winter wheels and tires, the dealer recommended that we go with the same tire size front and back. they recommended 18 inch instead of my oem 19's (said 17's would be better but they would not fit a 2005s), and front and back are the same size. there were several reasons given to me, but i am just wondering what opinions others have. anyone?
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Snaxster

I don't know any more about it, baxter, so I would like to hear others' opinions, too.

Like a good consumer (who doesn't know about automotive physics and such), I simply used the retailer's online configurator. Its results seemed reasonable to me, since my Boxster's stock wheels and tires are staggered:

18" Boxster S wheels. Front: 8J x 18 with 235/40 ZR 18 tires. Rear: 9J x 18 with 265/40 ZR 18 tires.

And though in my winter setup only the tires are staggered and the wheels are the same size front and rear, it is my understanding that a given wheel normally accepts a small range of tire widths for proper fitment.

Thanks,

Snaxster
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
i have been meaning to ask for a long time.............when i got my winter wheels and tires, the dealer recommended that we go with the same tire size front and back. they recommended 18 inch instead of my oem 19's (said 17's would be better but they would not fit a 2005s), and front and back are the same size. there were several reasons given to me, but i am just wondering what opinions others have. anyone?
Feels strange cutting in on the Snaxster and Baxter show

I think they recommend 18"s because there probably aren't a lot of options of 19" winter tires for the 987s (I have yet to see one on the TireRack, etc.)

Most (all) of the 19" tires I've seen that fit on the 987 are high performance, summer tires.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:39 AM   #5
baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akif View Post
Feels strange cutting in on the Snaxster and Baxter show
that's pretty funny. someone else made almost the exact same comment over a year ago in another thread. do you remember that, snaxster? maybe we should take this act on the road.

i understand that for winter tires, the smaller the better when it comes to breaking through snow, etc. but my summer wheels are 8" wide up front and 9 1/2" in back. the fronts are 235/35/19 and the rear are 265/35/19. the winter tires are 235/40/18 and it is the same wheel and tire front and back. why did they not want to do staggered sizes front and back on the winter tires. it looks like you did the same thing, if i am reading this right. you are 7 1/2 inch front and back, but the aspect is staggered for you and they did not do that with mine. i honestly did not think about this until a long time after we had put the wheels and tires on the car. but in hindsight, i just wonder why they did that instead of doing 235/40 up front and 265/40 in back, for instance. does anyone have any ideas?
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Snaxster

It's the Snaxster and Baxter Show!

Warning: visual content likely to scare small children.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaxster View Post
It's the Snaxster and Baxter Show!

Warning: visual content likely to scare small children.
That is just tooooooo funny!!!

Old October 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM   #8
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
that's pretty funny. someone else made almost the exact same comment over a year ago in another thread. do you remember that, snaxster? maybe we should take this act on the road.

i understand that for winter tires, the smaller the better when it comes to breaking through snow, etc. but my summer wheels are 8" wide up front and 9 1/2" in back. the fronts are 235/35/19 and the rear are 265/35/19. the winter tires are 235/40/18 and it is the same wheel and tire front and back. why did they not want to do staggered sizes front and back on the winter tires. it looks like you did the same thing, if i am reading this right. you are 7 1/2 inch front and back, but the aspect is staggered for you and they did not do that with mine. i honestly did not think about this until a long time after we had put the wheels and tires on the car. but in hindsight, i just wonder why they did that instead of doing 235/40 up front and 265/40 in back, for instance. does anyone have any ideas?
I misunderstood. I thought the 18"s were 205 in front and 235 in the back.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that you want thinner tires for the snow - more weight per square inch translates to better traction, I think.

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Snaxster

Old October 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Grantsfo

Winter for me means taking off the DOT R tires and slapping a set of P-Zero Rosso Asimmetrico's on the car for a few weeks when it rains. But "winter" wont be here until mid December.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman