Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Viktor

Driver's Ed & Time Trial prep

I would like to participate in the upcoming Driver's Ed and Time Trial series. I have a racing harness for the driver and need one for the passenger. I prefer the kind that mounts the existing seat belt mounts. Any recommendations for preparing the car would be appreciated.

I am also signing up for the ground school on 2/11.
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Docdanracy

Viktor,
What do you need to know exactly?

Let me know.

Just to give you a quick start.
Harnesses, for TT only ...HSDS only needs stock belts.
For TT Harnesses need to be 5 or 6 point. Mounted to stock seat spots OK if you use BK belt mounting hardware.
Fire EXT needs to be securely mounted in reach while seated.
That is about it. You do not need a roll bar, you just have to run with the top in the closed position.
Make sure you have a SA or M2000 or newer helmet.
You will need driving gloves and above equip for first 2 TTs then you will also need a driving suit.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
doug_d (7.7/77777)

is SA2000 required this year, or is SA1995 still ok? (for HSDS if that matters)
doug_d (7.7/77777) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Viktor

Thanks Dan,
What I need to know is where is the best place to buy the harness and other gear.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Mdreiver

I can sell you my harnesses. I only have 1 set but that's all you need. I have a Simpson 6pt harness. I *probably* still have the bk mounting hardware. I'm not 100% sure I can find all those little pieces. Let me know if any of this stuff interests you and how much (ahem, $$) it interests you and I'll verify what I have tonight.
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Docdanracy

Doug, I am not completely clear on the subject of helmet Snell dates.
I believe for TT we always had a 10 year max life for helmets.
So a M or SA 1995 would be too old. But a M or SA 1998 would still be ok.
I don't remember what the next Snell date was after 1995. I know my old helmet was a 1995 so I waited to get a SA 2005. Just got it a week ago from IOPORT.

Viktor,
Ken Meyer at Ioport is very good to work with and he usually carries a good assortment of inexpensive latch and camlock harness sets.
I am not sure if he carries the BK mounting hardware but you can get that directly from BK or EBS and several other dealers.
I believe Livermoreoperformance.com also has BK stuff.

Hopefully my new putput will be up and running by Sears. If not it will definitely be ready for TT #2.
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #7
blkflg

Harness

I also have questions about harnesses. First, what is the BK refered to in the other posts? Is it a brand name or a type of hardware?
I've also seen some info that seems to not recommend harnesses with stock seats. I understand this if the seat is very wide at the top since this may not allow a mount that is perpendicular to the shoulders. This could allow the belts to slide off the shoulders in a frontal impact. However, I checked my 987 and it appears that belts mounted to the cross bar part of my rollbar would be a pretty straight shot to my shoulders since the seat is relativly narrow in that area. I think this must be a safer setup than the 3 point inertia reel belts for Drivers Ed events.
Can anyone enlighten me about this?
Thanks.
blkflg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

You can read about the BK install that I did on my car a few years back. I later sold the setup to Viktor when it became clear I didn't have the time to continue doing HSDE.

Here's a pic of the completed install.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Docdanracy

BK stands for Brey Kraus. They manufacture harness bars, roll bar extensions, fire ext mounting brackets, harness attachment hardware and lots of other neat stuff.
Many folks use BK mounting hardware so they don't have to drill holes in their baby to mount harnesses.
Also as you can see in Toms picture, with the roll hoop and cross bar of the Boxster roll bar, the shoulder harnesses have very little chance of coming off your shoulders due to the way the roll hoop portion holds them close together.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #10
Viktor

Just got back in town. I am a interested in picking up another harness set.

Let's talk.

Thanks!!!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman