Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1
fourbarks

Power Top Fails to Open/Close

Recently I've had intermittent problems with the top failing to open or close. It seems to work more often if the e-brake is only partially engaged so I'm thinking that perhaps an adjustment needs to be made.

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, is there an easy fix other than a trip to the dealer?

Thanks.
fourbarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

What year is the car?

This sort of sounds like it might be the handbrake microswitch in the process of failing. If it is the switch then it's an easy fix so long as you are willing to take things apart
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3
fourbarks

It's an "02 so I don't have "on the fly" operation. I don't mind taking things apart but putting things back together is not much fun...

I suppose I could install the "Smart Top" plug-in and that would take care of it and make life easier anyway. Has anyone used one of these?
fourbarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

The "Smart Top" and other add-ons won't impact the problem you're experiencing so if you want that capability it's best to resolve your other issue first.

To replace the microswitch you'll need to remove the rear console (the part that runs the length of the interior) to gain access to the switch. The part's only a couple of bucks so the painful part if the R&R of the console and being careful not to scratch up the handbrake leather.

You can find instruction on how to remove the console here as part of the B&M short shift installation process.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #5
MarkieJ007

I had the same problem last week, no brake light on the instrument panel, so took the console apart, made sure of the conections, cleaned the surfaces and now wrks perfect again, although I did scratch my h/brake a bit.
MarkieJ007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman