Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1
hotrod356

Boxster 4 Cayman?

So after 10 years of ownership Im thinking of replacing my favorite girl for a Cayman S. The car Im looking at is 2006 that had an Factory replacement engine due to IMS failure at 40k. There is about 25k on the new engine. My question is did the factory address the problem with the replacement engines and is there any type of extended warrenty on these replacement engines?

If anybody knows anything else I should check out or know about the early Caymans I would really appreciate your insight and knowledge

Thanks in advance, Pete
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
mikefocke

The '06 probably got a replacement engine with the third iteration of the IMS which is suspected at this time to be better than the first two. I say suspected because only after a long time with the first two did we see enough failures to reach a conclusion. But it could just be the second and that would be the worst. Porsche was notorious for just using what they had in the parts bin and there is no way to tell from the serial number of the engine, the trans must be removed to tell.

If the second, there are three options:

LN Pelican - similar to the factory
LN - ceramic and oil vapor lubed in contrast to the grease lubed factory original and Pelican
LN Solution - an aluminum bearing lubed via pressurized filtered oil

If the third there is one option now:

LN rebuilt IMS shaft which involves splitting the case and is more expensive than the first two above.

There is also a detector sold which picks up the small pieces of iron from the ball bearings used in all three factory iterations and thus may warn you in time to save the engine from serious destruction.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
offshore

You could also purchase a third party extended warranty but be sure to read the fine print and ask a lot of questions as some of these are good and some aren't worth the paper or money you spend on them.
I'm not certain about the '06 but if (and you should) have a pre purchase inspection done with someone who can operate a PSII and can read any camshaft deviation. If there is then you have a problem and have personal decisions to make.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
hotrod356

Thanks for the info guys, I just got the carfax and no mention of a replacement engine, but a fender bender is present.. Still not a deal breaker, but if I do take the plunge I will have a thorough pre purchase inspection done..

The car is in Dallas and im not... I guess a local Porsche Dealer would be the way to go?

Thanks again guys... I watching a couple of Caymans running 3.8's at Dayton right now! (On TV:-)...
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

I'd suggest checking over on rennlist.com to see if there's a preferred PPI spot in the Dallas area as opposed to just opting for a dealer. I'm not saying the dealer is a bad choice, just that there may be better options.

In any case, if the car is being sold by a dealer the in no case should it be the selling dealer doing the PPI unless the car is already a CPO. Just my $0.02.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
hotrod356

Thanks Tom, I think I will do that. The car is being sold private. Carfax shows slight hit in rear when new... My feet are getting a little cold, Im starting to think that maybe I should just put a 3.4 in the boxster to fill this urge
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
mikefocke

I had a hit in the rear of my Boxster, $1200 or so and absolutely no damage to the sheet metal or lights or frame. Done right, it was better than new. Ask for a copy of the repair sheet. It should show cover, bumper bar, shocks, bumperettes. If it does, no sweat.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman